Demo Site

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Packing the little van, Things we missed

With goodbye’s all done the only task left for me was to pack all that I could in the little van and when I looked at the stack of boxes and bags on the living room floor, I knew I was in for a challenge. We had sent as much stuff with the packers as we thought we could and were hoping to at least have all of our cloths with us in case of an extended time in a motel while we searched for a house or apartment. Turns out that may have been a bad decision. Chase and I each had one suitcase plus I had a large duffle bag. Mama had three suitcases, two boxes and so many bags I lost count. Fortunately we had packed most of her cloths and sent them with the movers.
I had already bought a small car top carrier that we could collapse and store easily and it was at least as big as the car could manage, but I was so quickly out of room that I knew we would not make it. I put the two car seats we were taking out for packing room in the van and found that they fit in the car top carrier but that left little room for anything else – and the movers were already gone. To their credit the driver had taken several crates of items that are not normally allowed in the warehouse – to be delivered to my office in Borger.
When it was all over we had two rather large boxes of food and condiments that we took to the church to be given away. We threw some things in the dumpster and still I had to stuff the last few things in little spaces hoping a very hot iron could straighten them out after we pulled them free. It was then that I realized we had not taken out clothing for our stay in the hotel that night. So I took the man approach; no one would know if I wore the same clothes for two consecutive days – showers could wait until we got to Florida.
I should have known that would not work for Mama. Why, I’m not sure (Never have been.) what the issue is, but it seems to really bother her. As it turned out we had finished a load of clothes that morning and there was another set of clean clothing for each of us as well as cloths to sleep in that night; to keep Chase from being too embarrassed.)
On the second day we were at a Cracker Barrel for a potty break and Mama found something she really wanted. All I could say was, “If you can’t swallow it, it won’t fit in the car.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment