Demo Site

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Grandpa’s report, watercraft, busyness


Mama spent the day with Grandpa yesterday. He had an appointment in Denton with a cardiologist. This one was a follow-up visit. He got more good news. Grandpa really likes this doctor. On the last visit the doctor diagnosed Grandpa’s continued internal bleeding. The bleeding was coming from a ruptured hiatal hernia. They got pictures to prove it. We were concerned it might be originating in the colon, so the diagnosis was good news. Grandpa’s heart is in good shape, his blood pressure is under control and his regimen of blood thinners seems to be working to keep him free of blood clots. He does not have to see the doctor again for three months. Grandma did not go yesterday. She had a bad fall inside the house the day before yesterday and was still hurting too badly to walk much at all.

After the pastor and I had a successful excursion onto the quarry lake, I remembered that as Mama and I moved onto the farm we inherited a couple inflatable boats. They are not big. Five foot by four foot. Once I found out the brand I looked them up and found them for sale at Walmart. So, they are not anything great either. But out of curiosity, I got them out of the canvas bag they have been stored in for five years and inflated them. That was a bit of a challenge because we were not able to find the little blower we use to inflate the air beds. I had to improvise, but finally got both of them inflated. They seem to be in good shape. I will know by Thursday evening when I check them to see if they have bled off any pressure. I may try one of them out Friday evening after I get back from disassembling cattle panels I am buying from Red.  Maybe Saturday morning early – before bus calling. I do not think they will be a long-term solution, but it is worth a trial use. At least, they are easy to transport to and from the lake. I will just have to find a place to launch them that is relatively free of rocks. The place I will launch the canoe has some very large, very rough stones we would have to avoid.

I learned on our first fishing trip how ill-prepared I am for fishing from a boat. But it will not take much to get ready. Fortunately, pastor was ready. I do not have a net, a bait bucket, a good stringer or a fish basket, any jug lines ready to go, etc. Once I manage to accumulate a few items I will feel better equipped, but I may launch off with what I have and accumulate other items as I get more proficient. Mama and I do not have the money to spare at the moment for me to buy unnecessary things. Most items I can get for less than $10 each, but even that adds up quickly. Oh, well. It is pleasant distraction in a troubled time.

Mama and I, along with numerous others are praying for our relator in Lawton. I have routinely emailed and called over the past few weeks. Either no response or very limited responses. That is frustrating and very disappointing. Eventually, it will all work out, but it is taking its toll on our finances. Fortunately, we have separated our business from our living expenses, so we are muddling through, but this schedule is certainly falling far short of our once high expectations. Far short of promises made to us. There is so little we can do to affect the situation in a positive way, but God is able. We are certainly learning patience. And we are kept busy at the farm with life in general as we head into the Fall and Winter. Raising chickens, selling eggs. Raising baby goats. Due early to mid-October. Hopefully, raising a couple baby claves. We are on the list to purchase them when they come through the stock sale. A very long list of Winter cleanup projects. Plenty to do that does not require money.

I am also kept busy at work. Monday I am going to the State Fair with Mama. More fun than being at work. Following that, next week is our bi-annual conference. I will be teaching Tuesday. That class time is followed by a reception, a dinner and a concert. I will be at the Texas Motor Speedway from 7 am to 9 pm - or later. Wednesday follows the same schedule; although I will not have a class to teach. Thursday is a little shorter workday with events ending by about 5 pm. By Friday it will all be over. We will breathe a sigh of relief. We will all be exhausted. The following week I have three classes to teach but by the middle of October, things will slow down significantly at work.

That is not necessarily a good thing, but it will all work out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment