Demo Site

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Rain (finally), projects, anniversary


If the forecasts are accurate, our drought is about to end. There are predictions of up to three inches of rain through today and tomorrow. More days of rain over the next couple weeks. We will have to wait to see if this forecast is as wrong as forecasts over the past several weeks, but we remain hopeful. Hopeful in spite of there being not a cloud in the sky this morning. Hopeful in spite of the fact that there is no wind as of yesterday afternoon. Mama and I prepared for the rain last night, ensuring all the feeders were inside shelters, that all our animal charges had access to a dry place to rest, that doors and windows were closed against the forecast of storms. Nothing yet but the forecast is stating that rain will be starting about 10:15. A very specific guess. We will see. We will certainly take what we get.

My biggest concern is for the boy goats. I have not had the money to finish their shelter yet. It still has no metal siding on most of the structure. The structure is made of pallets, so the walls are not entirely open. But they are certainly not rainproof. It is more like a slatted wall right now. We moved the large igloo doghouse into the enclosure weeks ago, but now that the three boys are bigger, I am not sure if they will all fit into the igloo. In preparation for the rain – and the way it swamps the shelter if it is a hard rain – I opened the area where we keep the feed barrels. At least one of the boys can shelter there. I took some pieces of metal siding from an old cheap Lowe’s shed I took apart and put those pieces on the outside of that area of the shelter. That area is also elevated, so whoever claims that area will have a dry place to rest. The two others can fit into the igloo and stay dry and warm. That will have to do until I can finish the shelter and channel the runoff away from the shelter. Soon, we hope.

I have not taken time to compile a list of all the incomplete projects at the farm. To do so right now would be overwhelming – at least from the financial perspective. They are all rattling around in my head; unfiltered, unsorted, unplanned. But they are all there. Right now, Mama’s and my focus has been on moving our investment properties forward. We will see tomorrow evening if that is in fact the case. I suggested to Mama that we should go up tomorrow evening versus me going up alone again Saturday. She tentatively agreed. She would like to see the progress as well. Plus, I know the combination to get into the Aberdeen property now and Mama wants to look that over again. That will leave our Saturday free - sort of. At least it will not tie up as much of our day Saturday. The time required to make the trip and the mileage needed to be covered is the same no matter when we decide to go. We are just trying to coordinate all our activities in the most efficient manner. That often presents a challenge. Though Lawton is only two hours away, it requires the better part of the day to make the round trip. When we start investing in Arkansas, an overnight trip will be required. We will address that when our investment portfolio expands that direction. For now, we will take the four-hour round trip to Lawton and be happy for it.

I have been told that this week marks my three-year anniversary with ENERGY worldnet. I had not thought about it, but that is accurate. Accurate and hard to believe. Time really does move quickly. Since there will be a team meeting this morning, I assume that will be mentioned. Whether or not this will be my last anniversary remains to be seen. It all depends on how well Mama and I do with our investment business.

We still have high hopes for success.

0 comments:

Post a Comment