Demo Site

Friday, February 28, 2020

Gailyn, Audrey, swarm trap, planting, signs of Spring


Gailyn arrived a little after 11 am yesterday. Makaila and baby are doing fine. Chase is still figuring out what is going on. Gailyn was just under eight pounds and nineteen inches long. It is definitely a good thing they took her early. In another two weeks she could have gained another two to three pounds. Makaila’s family is very excited about the first granddaughter/cousin being born into the clan. Mama and I are thankful for another healthy grandchild. Mama is making plans for us to visit late in March. Chase and Makaila have a huge support network so there is no need for us to hurry over to meet our newest granddaughter.

Brittany called yesterday to tell Mama that the doctor wants to induce her Monday morning. Brittany is in pretty much the same position neonatally as Makaila was. The baby is certainly large enough to be born and waiting any longer will only complicate the delivery due to the weigh gain possible in the next week or so. Mama will be leaving Sunday after the morning service to drive to Brittany’s. We are not sure how long she will stay, but I am sure it will be no less than a week. Final packing is being done today and tomorrow. The timing could be better because I will be leaving Tuesday for Omaha. I will get back on Friday, but Victoria will be our primary caretaker at the farm for most of that week. She can handle it. She just does not enjoy it like Mama and I do. Added to that is the fact that Mama will be with Zoe and Sophia while she (Victoria) is working. An unpleasant combination for those missing out on the fun but we will all endure.

Mama was talking to Brittany and the twins yesterday evening as she and Victoria were getting back from the vet’s office. Mama, as always, had the phone on speaker. I met them in the garage and asked if there was anything to carry in. The girls heard my voice and started calling out “Papi! Papi!” So, I had to stop what I was doing to talk to them. Grandparenting is such a hardship. I told Mama I will have to remember that Brittany and Andrew’s youngest is Audrey. I have been calling her Aubrey for months.

Mama talked to our beekeeping club president earlier in the week to confirm the date we would need our hives ready for the bees we are buying from him. That date will be after Easter which gives me more time than I thought I had. In the conversation Mama talked with Donny about swarm traps. I have looked at plans for traps and have held off building any because of our financial needs right now. Donny told Mama that there was no need to build a wooden trap. We could simply get a properly sized box outfitted with the right beehive frames to use as a swarm trap. That is a great idea, but it would not last long out in the weather. Anyway, Mama had a box from somewhere that would work out perfectly if we had a place to set it. I decided that since we had everything we needed to make the trap, we should set it in the loft of the goat barn. It took very little time to get it done. Now we will see if we get any good results.

Late in the evening Mama and I spent an hour in the sunroom planting and transplanting various recent purchases. Mama potted strawberries and flowering plants. I worked on planting pecans. I am confident of her work showing success. I am not as confident with my plantings. I have never planted pecans and it feels odd to bury the pecan in dirt rather than cracking and eating it, but that is where pecans come from. If any of the seeds sprout, it will be years before we get any fruit from them. Mama’s strawberries on the other hand are already starting to bear. Maggie called as we were planting, and I told Maggie that Cathryn would be able to pick her own fruit salad if she comes at the right time. Blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, grapes, apricots and pears. We will eventually produce our own honey to put on that fruit salad as well as make our own yogurt. Mama has breakfast covered.

I took a picture of the little crocus flowers we have blooming in the bed in back of the house. Brittany helped Mama plant those bulbs a couple years ago and I have left them undisturbed. Every Spring they produce flowers for us.

It’s the little things that make life enjoyable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment