Demo Site

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Still puny, more rain, wheeled string trimmer


I did not feel better all day yesterday. Still lethargic. Still puny. However, this morning I do feel much better. I got very little sleep Sunday night and that only exacerbated the lethargy I dragged myself through all day yesterday. After Mama and I finished the evening feeding, we went to Lowe's for a water filter for the refrigerator that has an ice maker in it. That filter is timed to be replaced every six months – exactly. When that time runs out, so does your access to ice and water. Since ice right now is a precious commodity, it is an expense we grudgingly incur. $50 per filter. Twice per year. I think they discount the fridge so they can make money on the long term need to buy replacement filters. There is no way the filters cost $50 to manufacture.
After Lowe's, we went to Tractor Supply to get dog food for Mocha – she has to have something very special to keep healthy. Fortunately, a can of the food lasts her for about four meals. While we were there we looked for nesting boxes because the middle group of chickens will start to lay sometime soon. Perhaps the middle of next month. The youngest group will be a couple weeks behind that group. All the nesting boxes were moved into the side of the coop with the laying hens and they need all the nesting boxes to meet their laying needs. Hence the need to get some new nesting boxes. By the end of July, Mama should be flush with eggs. Both Mama and I are starting to like the Banty’s more and more. They are very hardy compared to the other breeds. They are good layers and great sitters. But they can only be bought in a “straight run”. Meaning they do not determine the sex of the chicks for you. You buy a lot of chicks and take what you get – which could be mostly roosters.
Then we went to QT for fuel. I was almost on empty in the truck and we needed more gas for the mower. Since we have had so much rain over the past few days, the grass will need to be mowed by the weekend and Mama is looking forward to that chore. I did not remember the last time I filled the mower, but I knew both of the gas cans were empty. With diesel slowly rising in price, I took those fuel cans with us and refilled them as well. I was dragging along by the time we got home but there was still one thing I wanted to accomplish before I quit for the day.
On Sunday a wheeled string trimmer I had ordered was delivered. I had put the box in the shop and had not even bothered to open it until last night. I had watched a video on initially servicing the trimmer, so I was prepared when I did open the box. It was fully assembled. I had to add oil, which was included in the shipment, and fuel. I had to pull the started cord out and latch it into a ring on the handle of the unit for easy access. Other than that, it was ready to go. I debated whether or not I had the available energy to start and test the trimmer but finally give in and tried it out. It will do very well for what we need around the farm.
I have never done well with a weed eater. My back can only last a half hour with the one I have. When there is about three hours of work needing to be done, getting it done in half hour per day stretches ensures that by the time I finish the trimming, I have to start over on the new growth. Mama has not been able to help with that chore, so we bought the wheeled trimmer. Once we get used to how it cuts and how wide a swath we can maintain while using it, we should be able to get the three hours of work cut down to about an hour and a half. It moves along pretty quickly. I was pleased. It will save my back a lot of pain. I will still have to use the weed eater for some areas, but far fewer than before.
Pray the Lord will bless that trimmer with a lot of hours of service.

0 comments:

Post a Comment