Demo Site

Monday, October 19, 2020

Cleanup, delayed hive work, pipe cutting, casting a line, fuzzy headed

Saturday morning, I went to the feed store to replenish our feed supply as soon as Mama and I had finished our Bible reading. I left the feeding to Mama because I was supposed to meet with James – a bee keeping expert – to work on the hives in the early afternoon. The round trip to get feed generally takes about 90 minutes and I did not want to delay the trip any longer than needed. Once I got back, I got the feed placed in the shop where we store the 50 pound bags and also distributed the feed as needed to the various areas where Mama and I keep feed it strategically located in barrels to be given to the animals; goats, chickens, the pig and the calf. It is not the most efficient system, but it works for us.

Since I did not have much time to get into anything too big going among the many projects I am working on, I started cleaning up in the sunroom. We have had several large containers in the sunroom growing a variety of plants than have mostly now died. I emptied each of those containers into a wheelbarrow and took the accumulated dirt and potting soil to a flowerbed in front of the house. Grandpa had some time ago arranged some flat stone Norman had given to us into a border for the flowerbed. We filled that bed and Mama planted some mums she had gotten at Lowe’s. They were deeply discounted but they looked healthy. The rest of the containers of dirt I put in the compost bin. After a while, the containers get sour and it is difficult to grow anything in them. In the compost bin they will air out and mix with the other contents giving us some decent soil to use in the garden next Spring. Right now, the compost bin I have been using is so full that I will need to make a companion bin in order to keep recycling the manure and other items we let age naturally for future use.

James called about noon to let me know he was not going to be able to make our appointment. We rescheduled for this evening or tomorrow evening and since I had the free time I got all the tools together and went onto the lake property to cut some pipe for the pig area I am laying out. The property owner had thousands of feet of pipe recovered from drilling rigs – much of it badly bent – and he gave me permission to cut the few pieces I needed from that pile. It did not take long to get the seven pieces of pipe I needed but since I was near the lake while doing the cutting, I took a couple rods with me just to test the fishing once I was done with the pipe work.

I only fished for about twenty minutes, but I caught two nice bass. That was a little surprising because it was very windy, and I was casting right into the wind. I did not take anything home. It was a catch and release day for the fish, but it started to wake the desire to get back into fishing regularly. The Lord has certainly given me all the equipment to do so. I would like a smaller or lighter boat to use in the lake. The one loaned to me by the Pastor is very nice when there are two people to handle it. It is a bit heavy and very awkward to get from the truck into the water on my own. Something smaller or lighter would be nice when it is just me going out. But I will figure out a way to use what I have been given and make the most of it while I have the strength to do so because it so much more productive to fish the lake from the small boat. Once I got the pipe unloaded, Mama and took a short nap and then got out to do the evening feeding. We enjoyed the breezy pleasant evening.

Church services were great Sunday although I felt like I was having trouble concentrating as I was leading the singing. I was not necessarily dizzy, but I was not feeling like I had a clear mind or a clear focus and while leading the songs it is a very uncomfortable feeling to be dealing with. I got through both services, but Mama told be after the evening service that I had a very stern look on my face through the three songs. I will have to watch that. I do not want to look like an angry song leader. I will also have to monitor my blood pressure more closely again to make sure it is not too low. Either that or I will have to get some strong coffee in me before the service, so I have the breath to sing the songs without getting mildly dizzy in doing so.

I will know Monday evening as I lead the songs in that service.

0 comments:

Post a Comment