Demo Site

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Rain and more rain, overgrowth, desperate times

The steady rain falling is forecast to continue pretty much unabated for the next several days. I will be heavier at times, but it will be continuous for an accumulated total of about three inches per the forecast. That is unusual for this area, but it is much needed. Thursday night the rain is forecast to change to snow. That would not be typical for our area, but it is not unheard of either. So far, the temperatures have been mild this winter and the precipitation has been a little under the average. Even with the lighter rainfall, I have only had to water the plants and trees once through the cooler weeks. So far, the fig trees I separated from the mother plant are all doing well but I do not know if a severe cold snap will injure them. They have not been tested with any extreme cold so far this winter. That is all the better. They will have time to get a good root system started before they are frozen by some bule-cold overnight temperatures. The temperatures are rarely cold enough for long enough to freeze the shallow roots of the figs. I hope that holds through this winter as well. I would like to harvest figs next summer.

Mama and I are happy that we did not take on bottle feeding the mini-Highlander bull calf we are buying. I have no good place to put the calf in the cold wet conditions other than with the boy goats. Bottle feeding a calf with the boy goats in attendance is not difficult, it is just bothersome. However, we will be picking up the little bull in February and he will probably spend the last of the winter with the goats in order to provide him cover for a few months. But at that time, we will not have to bottle feed him.

There is a good deal of work I need to do to the fence before we take on the little bull. I figure if our heifer -as large as she is – can easily get through the fence, he would have no trouble getting off out property and we do not want him to be unprotected by the dogs that guard all or stock. I am not looking forward to the fence line work because the fence line is heavily wooded with thorn trees and tangled with briars and poison ivy. The adage for flora in Texas is, “If it will burn you, stick you or sting you, it grows in Texas.” The winter months are the perfect time to deal with the fence line as far as the plants are concerned. Not so much so as far as my respiratory issues are concerned.

I am only working a half day tomorrow. I have a few hours of comp time to use up before I lose it. Since tomorrow is the last day of this calendar year, it seems a good time to use those hours. Mama and I have nothing planned for the New Year. We rarely do and with the limitations imposed on us restricting gatherings this year, we will enjoy the calendar change by ourselves. I am hoping all the nonsense concerning the virus will end soon but I still see no path forward out of the lockdowns. People in power like that power a little too much – especially when it does not affect them financially. We are paying them their full salaries week after week to force us into bankruptcy. As they shutter our businesses and wreck our livelihoods, they are living very well off of us. What a deal!

Thankfully, I have been able to continue working fulltime through all the idiocy. Thank you Energy Worldnet! I cannot imagine the desperation of sitting week upon week wondering if I will lose the farm or be able to feed my family, much less be able to buy feed for my animals. How helpless that must be to all those who are actually in that position. A Biden or rather a Harris presidency will only exacerbate that condition for the foreseeable future. Be careful what you wish for those of you who want to see President Trump gone. I prefer having a president focused on our needs as citizens of the United States rather than have much needed funds (money borrowed against our children’s future) sent to Pakistan to study gender equality issues in their armed forces. Is there anything we can we do correct the situation? I have no idea. I will keep looking for a way to be part of the solution.

I just praise the Lord we are living in Texas while this is going on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment