Demo Site

Friday, July 9, 2021

Kid updates, new glasses, the weekend

On Wednesday Mama took our little boy goat to the vet to see if they could identify the issue he was having with his leg. By x-ray they were able to see that the tibia in his lower leg had been broken. We were told it was a clean break and that the prognosis is that he will be fine once the leg mends. To aid in that mending, the leg was splinted and wrapped. That bandaging will have to be on his leg for at least a month. The issue is that the wrapping makes that wounded appendage longer than his other three legs, requiring him to drag that leg about as he struggles to move.


While he was able to hold the broken leg off the ground when it was bare, he is now forced to allow constant contact with the ground as he stands and moves. For that reason, his movements are limited. I cannot imagine how much pain that is causing him. Mama and I are a little concerned about him being able to access his mama when feeding time is announced, but for the moment, he appears to be doing well. We will have to be very vigilant to ensure he gets enough milk to stay healthy while he drags himself about as he heals, but that healing is a fair stretch of time away from where we are now. Meanwhile, his sisters are doing excellently.

Nate, Cori and the kids have been helping with a medical team at the surgical center in Honduras this week. The team is doing eye exams and outfitting, as they are able, those patients with glasses. All the glasses have been donated to the Medical Missions Outreach group for just such opportunities. Cori was telling Mama how incredible it is to see the joy of those who are able to get proper glasses when those glasses are put on and they are able to see clearly. As a wearer of glasses, I can sympathize with that elation. What is a simple expectation to us in our culture is a gift of immense value to those patients.


Cori, who has not been feeling well was thrilled to be able to fully translate for the mission’s team. That is no small feat to master the language to that proficiency and interpret on the fly for someone who does not understand how the English words they pick can affect the fluidity of translating those words into workable Spanish conversational vocabulary. Cori also shared with us that Mykenzie was able to help translate for the group. Mama and I were as thrilled to hear that as her proud mommy was to share it. As the clinic wound down yesterday, Cori sent us a picture of the new glasses she and Savanna were fitted for. Cori was obviously far more excited than Savanna.

Mama and I went to our beekeepers meeting yesterday evening and were reminded of a clinic that is going on tomorrow. I need to attend because they are going to be talking about harvesting honey as well as how to label the jars of honey for sale. There is a legally required verbiage for the labels and Mama and I need to adhere to those legal obligations.  Since I have no idea what the requirements are, it will be nice to learn. We will be spending time in hives at the farm where the clinic is being put on, so I am excited about getting the opportunity to see what is needed for Mama and I to get our honey from the hives and into the jars. I have all the equipment at the ready, so this is the final information I need to get the work done. I have been neglectful of the hives for a several weeks, so I need the gentle push to get me doing the maintenance that the hives require. So, tomorrow will be all about the bees.

Mama will be attending a conference for Color Street today and tomorrow so she will not be going to the bee clinic with me. Today, she will attend online from the house. Tomorrow she will meet with a small local group to attend the conference – still virtually – but in a group setting. The actual conference is happening in Orlando, FL. Which, by the way, is where Grandma and Grandpa are at the moment. (Be praying for them. Their situation is not good.) I think Mama is looking froward to the conference. She, like me, needs a gentle push now and then to keep moving on this business. Like al true growth opportunities, it is outside her comfort zone.

Next week I have classes on Monday and Wednesday, so it will be an off week for me. As I tabulated the numbers for the classes taught over the past quarter (April-June), we taught 24 classes. I taught 18 of those classes in the twelve weeks of that quarter.

No wonder I felt like I was constantly busy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment