Demo Site

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Weekend surprise, Grandma

However, it does block access to the corral. That and a few large branches were spilling over into the corral, making it impractical to use as we were planning. So, while Mama began mowing, I went to the shop and got the chain saw to begin cutting away at the massive tree. So far, I have been able to whittle the deadfall down to the point that I can safely get to the trunk and major limbs to cut and clear them away from the corral, but it is not a small project. I need to have the removal completed this evening so we can be ready for our neighbor. Also, Mama does not like the idea of me working on the tree with the chain saw without her oversight. Just in case something happens.


We are hoping to leave the trunk which is about 30 inches in diameter and about nine feet tall in one piece so we can have it milled. There are two other pieces towards the base of the tree which are also large enough to mill into rough lumber for live-edge pieces of oak, but I have yet to get to them. Yesterday evening I was able to trim away enough of the branches to roll the tree off the corral fencing and lay it over in a way that I can get to the larger parts without putting myself in peril. I tried to do so with the tractor on Monday evening after I had trimmed off some of the branches but could not do so. It was just too heavy and awkwardly tilted onto the corral fence. My second attempt to do so was successful. Hopefully, I can finish the dismembering of the trunk this evening and move the large pieces out of the way of accessing the corral. It has been a challenging project to work on by myself, but I praise the Lord that I have all the required equipment to do so.

To be fully prepared for the calves, I need to rework the water to the barn, so our neighbor has easy access to water. That is not a big project, but it will take a bit of time. It is something I have been planning to do, but the urgency to get it done was not pressing. Now it is. The yard hydrant is usable as it is, but it leaks both at the nozzle and at the connection in the ground – both of which are unacceptable. As a remedy, I leave that line turned off in the well house. So, to use the hydrant, I would have to turn it on in the well house, get the water I needed for the day and turn it off in the well house when I was done. It needs to be simpler than that for our neighbor and it needs to be done right anyway. I will get that done this week, but the tree removal comes first. Mama and I are hoping the new calves do not find their way onto the neighbor that adjoins us. That is not something he enjoys having to deal with, but I have not spent any time on the fence other than to begin the process of clearing it so that I could inspect and repair it. Again, there was no urgency until now. That will be a longer project.

I was also able to meet with and talk to the gentleman leasing the quarry property. He is a nice enough fellow, but he is not going to allow me to fish in the quarry lakes while he is leasing the property. I can sympathize with his point of view. He is paying for the privilege of having exclusive rights to the property and I am sure it was not cheap. Therefore, he would like to enjoy those privileges without sharing with a freeloader – at least for now. He did not state it that way, but that is the way leases work. At least, that is settled between us. I assured him I would respect his “ownership” of the property. In Texas, that is a big deal.

Mama and Victoria are starting to pack for the trip to Florida to spend some time with Grandma and Grandpa. Grandma seems really excited about them – especially Victoria – coming. It is hard to say, but she seems to be improving steadily. Norman is talking about moving them into a bumper pull camper so that there will not be any stairs to navigate in the camper. That would definitely help. He is also looking at possible spaces for the RV nearer to Shaelyn and her crew in Bradenton. That would also help.

We will see how all that works out, but for now, things look like Grandma is recovering her strength and will, but Grandpa is barely able to care for her as she need. That is of some concern to Mama and Norman.

0 comments:

Post a Comment