Demo Site

Thursday, December 30, 2021

New instructor, deliveries, Mama’s computer, shopping, New Year’s Eve

Class yesterday went well. As expected, our newest instructor had the perfect class to try out his presentation. The six participants were engaged, encouraging, and very supportive. They all knew each other well. Five of the six had worked together for many years and four of the six were launching into a new employment opportunity to join the two evaluators familiar with both the new employer and the new processes they would be taking on. They all seemed to have a good time in the class which made things somewhat less of a strain for our new instructor. I interjected a couple thoughts into the class as needed but largely I sat by and let Russell do the class as much on his own as possible. Now he knows what it is like to present the class and I am sure he will work to smooth out the rough patches he struggled through yesterday.

Mama was loathe to leave the house yesterday because her new computer was to be delivered at some point during the day. She wore herself out cleaning around the house even going so far as to thoroughly scrub the kitchen cabinets. She was hesitant to go to church last night for fear of missing her expected delivery, which, as it turned out, came just a few minutes before I left for church. Plus, she had overdone it through the day and was in considerable pain by that evening. When the UPS driver, whom we have gotten familiar with, dropped off the packages, we gave him a small bag of Mama’s fresh baked goodies. He was delighted. So, Mama stayed home last night and watched the service from the couch.

I, on the other hand had a good time at our last service for the calendar year. I pretty much had to go. Not because I am the song leader but because Mama and I had caught six chickens to be rehomed and the purchaser – a church friend – was not able to collect the hens as expected yesterday morning. She was sick and asked if we would bring the birds to church to make the exchange.  I was happy to do so. While the hens spent the entire day in the cage we had placed them in late Tuesday evening two eggs were laid. Both were smashed by the caged birds who probable fidgeted about constantly through the day in captivity, but while they waited in their cage in the bed of my truck during the service an additional two eggs were laid. Those I was able to recover since the chickens tend to limit their movements after dark. The sons of the purchaser were delighted by the bonus in their chicken delivery. I also had to deliver a padded mat bought at Sam’s when Mama and I were there Tuesday evening. Brittany Wycoff wanted Mama to get the mat for her as a gift to her mom, so that was successfully delivered in secret. Mission accomplished!

I avoided working on Mama’s new computer last night because I knew it would require more focus and emotional energy than I had to offer after I got home from church. I started that this morning and was largely complete in only a couple hours. Mama is truly excited about the computer and that is a good sign. I am impressed with the newer model of MacBook Air. Mine seems antiquated by comparison.  I admit that I was a little taken aback at the different look of several programs on the newer operating system but that will not present a problem for Mama because the new look is far less cluttered than what I am used to seeing. We will slowly add links, shortcuts and apps over the next several days if not weeks.

Mama will launch into the computer operation as soon as she is back from an emergency shopping run. Why it was an emergency remains a mystery to me, but I have to trust Mama’s instincts. She listed off the multiple stops she has planned and as much as I enjoy spending time with Mama, I was happy enough to let her make this trip on her own. I do not expect her back much before I sign out for the day…for the year.

This weekend, I need the extra day off tomorrow offers because I have a lot of freeze prep to get done before our next Arctic blast hits Saturday night. We will spend a couple nights in the teens to low twenties. Cutting in the yard hydrant at the barn is the longest project. It will require several hours to do it properly, but I should have the time and materials to complete it once started. Once complete, I hope it will last me many years.

We have no real plans for New Year’s Eve except to rest up and complete all the chores I need to have done before the temps fall through Saturday night. We will start the year off with what is for us a brutal cold snap.

Should be fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment