Demo Site

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Glassblowing, Memorial Day Weekend

Friday of last week, I participated in a team building activity at a glassblowing shop in Arlington, TX. We met at the office and carpooled to a coffee shop near to the venue to make sure we had everyone onboard before walking the three blocks to the workshop. The glassblowing shop was set up in an old gas station. The office of the old station served as a gallery as well as an office. There were some amazing pieces of crafted glass on display. The prices being asked were mindboggling. The garage of the old station had been converted into the workshop with a central oven containing the molten glass at 2100 degrees and two smaller ovens for reheating and shaping the glass being worked. Those ovens were kept at 900 degrees. Needless to say, it was a hot working area. Small bleacher type benches were set up at the open doors of the garage area and there was a cool breeze blowing that morning, so it was pleasant enough. The noise of the natural gas burners firing the three ovens was pretty loud, so we had to speak up to be heard.


After we were familiarized with the safety precautions, mostly dealing with very hot temperatures, the team that would be guiding us through the process of making our gazing ball took the time to demonstrate that process to us – actually creating a piece of their own. It was fascinating! I did not go first, but I was the second to participate from my half of my peers. There were fourteen of us in all, so we had split into two groups. Glass was drawn from the main oven and allowed to cool for only a moment before I was led through the process of adding color – which I had preselected – by dipping the molten glass into a steel scoop containing metal fragments that would melt into the glass to provide the final colors. I chose three colors, a deep violet, a light purple and a white. After adding each color, the glass was reheated in the 900-degree oven to melt the metal shavings into the glass. Once all the colors were incorporated into the glass, it was taken and elongated slightly by blowing a very small breath into the rod we were using to work the glass.

I sat at a bench and the rod was laid in a set of rails for me to cool, shape and work the still soft blob on the end of the rod. The rod had to be continually rotated so the glass would not get lopsided as it was being worked. After that was done, the instructor sat at the bench and a line was attached to the end of the rod for me to blow the glass. I blew a little more than needed so the globe I created was a bit thinner than some of the others that followed, but the talent of the gentleman working with me saved the project and it turned out beautifully. It was a great activity. I am planning on taking Mama to the workshop to make something at some future date. She would thoroughly enjoy the experience.


As for Memorial Day weekend, we had a pretty calm few days. On Saturday I spent the day with Mama at a Biker for Life rally where she had purchased a space to sell her nails. It was a very hot, very windy day with nobody was in attendance except for the twenty or so other vendors, so there were few people who visited our booth, but Mama did make one good sale. Enough to pay for our spot. Other than that, it was a boring day for me. We ended up leaving at about 3 pm because the wind was picking up and we feared for our canopy even though we had anchored it as best we could. Several of the other vendors had their canopies blown over or ripped from the supports as the day progressed. Though the gusting winds made the ambient temperature bearable, it was a constant treat to our display.

Sunday at church we handed out little Army men to be used a reminder to pray for our military members and our first responders. I did not know how the idea would go over, but it was very well received. Sunday evening several of our church members told me where they placed the figurines so they would be easily seen as a reminder to pray. Mine is standing on my desk at home and Mama’s is on the side table by her recliner.

On Memorial Day I worked around the farm mostly focusing on getting an idea of what needs to happen to fix our barn lot fences. I put in just under 17,000 steps that day. In the afternoon, I fired up the grill and cooked sausages, steaks, and chicken legs. While I was doing that, Mama made potato salad. macaroni salad, and baked beans. Mama and I had lunch by ourselves that day because Victoria was working and Trace had a side job that needed to be completed. They each ate when they got home, so we all got to enjoy the fare. It was a slow-paced, calm weekend overall.

I taught class yesterday and will be going fishing with the men from our church tomorrow and Friday. So, I used the extra day at the farm to get ahead on chores. Still, Mama will be largely on her own for the remainder of the week when it comes to caring for the animals.

Victoria has a job interview tomorrow for a receptionist position at a county facility. Please pray for her that she would have the wisdom to discern if this is the right job for her…should she be offered the position.

0 comments:

Post a Comment