Demo Site

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Pumpkin carving, malfunctions, remodel supplies

Monday at work we observed a tradition that we have not been able to follow for a couple years because of all the COVID nonsense. We carved pumpkins. It is a team competition. All teams are selected at random and each team, once identified, has a week to collaborate on what they are going to do for the contest. My team decided to do a Wizard of Oz theme with our pumpkin being the lion. I dressed up as the scarecrow, one of the ladies was Dorothy and the other the Wicked Witch.

My teammates

I did not get any pictures of myself, but Mama and I collaborated on my costume – a worn farm shirt with raffia added to the cuffs and front to look like hay. A straw had was adorned with some wheat stems and flowers to complete the image. No one had any trouble telling what the simple costume represented as many of the participants decked out – some quite elaborately - for their chosen themes.
Our Creation

I am constantly amazed by the creativity within our company, and it is fully expressed in this particular contest. We have only one hour to complete the carving and presentation of our creation. My team was able to get ours done in about forty-five minutes and were selected to win First Place in the Cutest Pumpkin category. It is the first time I have been on a winning team, so I was pleased even if the theme was quite feminine. Both of the ladies on my team were very particular about the outcomes. I was tasked with the carving while they took on the decorating with a passion. It was a fun morning of team building.

Mama's Favorite

Yesterday when I arrived at the HQ house, the gate that limits access to the property would not operate. I tried all the methods I knew for coaxing the operator to move the gate for me to no avail. Since I was at the gate well before daylight, I did not want to remove the operator arm and open the gate way, so I parked to the side of the driveway at the gate and walked up to the house. The house sits about a quarter mile from the gate, but it was a pleasant morning to be out, and it was not raining. I have made the walk in the rain before, so I was counting my blessings.

I alerted my management of the malfunction, and they got right one it. However, when a delivery of supplies arrived in the early afternoon the secretary that takes care of those things had to interrupt me to get my keys so she could move my truck in order for the truck and trailer to make the approach through the gate. No big deal, but the timing of the malfunction and all that that set in motion provided an interesting dynamic to me day.

Once home, Mama and I did our routine feeding and watched the ducks for a few minutes. They are very entertaining. Then we went to Lowe’s to get the first of the supplies we will need to remodel the hall bathroom. Flooring was on sale - a snap together waterproof laminate that Mama really liked – and we did not want to wait too long to get what we needed. I already bought a new fixture for the bathroom and Mama has her eye on a vanity she would like us to retrieve to replace the cabinets in the bathroom right now. Grandpa volunteered to buy a toilet to replace the one I put in service about eight years ago but we have not made that purchase yet. Norman has volunteered his time – sometime in early December – to do the bulk of the work. Grandma and Grandpa requested that the shower, which is a bit unusual, be left as is. That will save us a mayor expense in the remodel, so I was in favor of that decision.

While we were spending the money, I also bought some of the more costly items I will need to run electricity to the goat barns as well as complete several projects I have procrastinated on for several years now. The total cost was a little alarming to me and what we got is only a portion of the supplies we will need to finish up those several projects, but it will be money well spent in the long run.

At least we will be able to see the tangible outcomes of the purchases made.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment