Demo Site

Thursday, December 8, 2022

Victoria, Mama

I was interested to see just who was more excited to have Victoria back at the farm Tuesday night. The contest was between Grandma and the dogs. My though was that the dogs, who had been without their mistress for a month would be overwhelmed with excitement. That did not seem to be the case. They were a little startled by her sudden reappearance, but they were not overly expressive in that moment. Grandma on the other hand was effusive in her welcome of Victoria back into our daily lives. Fortunately, Victoria had the day off yesterday to allow Grandma and Grandpa to ply her with questions and shower her with pent up attention. It was fun to watch. Meanwhile, the dogs warmed to the idea that Victoria was staying nearby and after Grandma and Victoria had gone to Walmart in the afternoon, both Kira and Kobe welcomed her home with the excitement I had anticipated the night before.

Victoria and I talked some on our way home from the airport and I got the sense that she had little more direction for her life than before she left. Although I am seeing some subtle changes in her attention to daily living details once overlooked. She and Grandma kept the dishes washed and the sink clear through the day yesterday as I worked and Mama rested. She made her bed in the morning. Something she was not in the habit of doing before. She vacuumed the hallway and her room several times to keep up with the hair the dogs are constantly shedding. She is starting back to work today; both looking forward to getting back into the groove of things and dreading the routine at the same time.

Mama has been mostly in bed since Tuesday morning. Her symptoms do not seem to be improving. She experiences fever in bursts. It will abate for a few hours, then come beck upon her with a vengeance. That is the most distressing symptom of the flu so far – that and the general malaise. The fact that, after three days, she feels little improved is most disconcerting to her. To me as well. With the cantata happening Sunday night, I have had to keep my distance from Mama which has interrupted our normal smooching encounters through the day. We are both aching from that separation.

For the moment, only Mama is experiencing the illness which is a blessing for Grandma and Grandpa. None of us want to see them fall ill with these symptoms. Many at church last night asked if we get the flu shots. We do not. Of course, I had to hear all the stories of how the shots have kept them from ever getting the flu – but if they did get it, it was a milder case. Good for them. Such logic is impossible to prove when millions of people never get the shots and never get the flu. Likewise, millions get the flu and treat it the same we have for untold generations before us, rest, hot liquids and more rest. Mama will recover soon enough. She is taking some antibiotics to prevent secondary infections as well as a cough suppressant, but mostly she is drinking hot liquids and resting.

A couple days ago, since Mama was sick and I was working, Mama sanctioned Grandma and Grandpa to make a post office and Dollar General run using Victoria’s car. I have disapproved of that in the past because we do not have them covered on our insurance and the consequences of any accident they might be involved in would be financially debilitating. But they made the outing, and it went so well in Grandma’s mind that she is volunteering herself and Grandpa to do every little thing that needs to be done – especially if it requires operating one of our vehicles. She is not pestering Victoria to sell her car to Grandpa so she can get insurance and get out more, which would necessitate Victoria having to purchase a car to replace it this one. Something she is unprepared to do. So far, Grandpa has restrained Grandma’s enthusiasm.

I have been doing the feeding and watering of the animals while trying to keep up with work requests as I work from home. Since I cannot devote the required forty-five minutes or more away from my computer at any one time, I have been doing the chores in three separate outings. First, I open the chickens and ducks, so they have access to water. I do very little of the extra things they are used to Mama doing for them. After spending time answering emails and replying on Slack, I go back out and feed the goats. Then, during my lunch hour, I will go back and give the ducks fresh water in all the containers we set out for them daily. If I miss anything, I catch up in the evening feeding when I have signed out from work. It’s not all bad. Everyone gets minimally cared for and I get more steps in.

Grandma has taken up some of the slack in making sure Grandpa is fed. Mostly it is sandwiches and fruit. Grandma refuses to learn how to use the microwave or toaster oven, so unless she grills a sandwich on the stovetop, it is served cold. They do not respond well to the meals I prepare, even if I warm up leftover beans or soup. Again, everyone’s needs are minimally met as we all wait on Mama to recover.

Everyone is praying that will happen soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment