Demo Site

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Broken window, dry conditions

A couple weeks ago, Mama and Norman bought the windows we are cutting into the container; however, when they arrived at the farm with the four windows, one of the panes on one side of one of those windows was broken. Norman did not seem to think it was a difficult repair to have done, but today Mama and I discovered that that may not be the case. I called a window shop here in Decatur to ask about affecting that replacement/repair. The receptionist was very confident that they could get that done so Mama and I drove to the shop to drop off the broken window.

After waiting for the receptionist to complete her discussion with a regional salesman, she very quickly made out a work order to have the pane replaced. When I asked for an estimate on that repair, I was told it would be in the range of $150-175. I was shocked. Needless to say, I did not leave the window there. I explained to the receptionist that the original window – the entire window, of which this was only one pane on one side of the window – cost us $250. I will buy another entire window to complete the installation in the container before I pay $175 for a single piece of glass to be replaced in that pane. As is the case too often I life, I may have to take back those words, but for now, that is where I stand on the issue.

Yesterday evening, I laid out the cut pattern for two of the frames that will hold the windows. I almost started to cut one of those openings but was talked out that by Mama. I will have to set aside the time to get the work done for making those cuts, but with the very hot outside temperatures, I cannot work for long periods of time inside the container. It is a sweatbox right now. I am also hesitant to get started on the cutouts since I do not know if I have the right equipment to make those cuts successfully. At a very minimum I need to buy a good face shield to protect me from the sparks created in using either a circular saw or a grinder. Those two cutting tools are what I have access to right now. I have watched a Sawzall used to make the cuts, but I do not know for sure what blade to purchase to use for that purpose. I looked at what Lowe’s had to offer and there were only twenty or so to choose from. All of those choices were expensive.

Plus, with the extremely dry conditions now, any of the sparks caused by making the cuts could potentially start a fire that could quickly get out of control. I have a hose I can set in place to spray any fires that are started by the sparks I will generate, but I cannot be on both sides of the container at the same time. That requires someone to be with me at all times as I make those cuts. That person is not going to be Mama. She does not like the ambient heat, or the noise created by the cutting tools. Grandpa is not a good candidate because of his recent issues with the heat. I am sure he would like to help, but his body cannot tolerate the heat. That leaves me on my own trying to figure out how to get this done safely. Again, it will all work out, but it will take some time to understand how it needs to be done.

Plus, chores on the farm have taken many of the evenings I have available. Tonight, we are going to spend the evening picking up some bales of hay – if the hay is still available. Since we have no grass growing due to the drought, we are feeding hay out at a very fast rate. To compensate, we are buying hay at a much higher rate than we did last year. No, I do not believe in the current climate alarm. Weather is simply weather. Sometimes it is hot. Sometimes it is cold. Sometimes it is wet. Sometimes it is dry. We are not all going to die from weather changes, but we are buying more hay this year.

Anyway, I am enjoying the heat at a certain level. It allows me to endure a free sweat every evening. I have noticed that I can take in more calories/carbs every day without the fear of putting on weight. I still have to be thoughtful about what I eat, but I have had a little more freedom in my diet due to the oppressive heat. Of course, it helps that I do not mind being soaked with sweat.

As had become her custom in this heat, Mama goes out every afternoon to refresh the water in the containers in the duck area. It is probably a good idea since the water, if it is only as hot as the air around it, will be well over 100 degrees. What sits in the full sun, will be much hotter. That is a bit warm not only to drink, but also to play and preen in. The cool water is a welcome treat to the ducks and the chickens. Almost every afternoon Mama does go out, she finds the water container in one of the quail cages turned on its side, empty. When we do not have the opportunity to refill that container, the quail in that cage are extremely thirsty when we tend to them in the evening. That makes Mama feel terrible, but it is a small matter, completely out of our control. They survive and are probably better cared for than their cousins in the wild, but Mama still feels bad every time she feels they are neglected.

Even in the dry heat, Mama’s animals are well cared for.

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment