Demo Site

Monday, March 25, 2024

The Yuk, teaching again, good help is hard to find

Just a quick weekend update. Friday evening both Mama and I started feeling poorly. So, we did not attend any of the activities scheduled at church Saturday. We missed soul winning. We missed the pine car derby and we missed the chili cook-off. I spent the majority of the day lying down. We missed both services Sunday. Only this morning did the effects of our weekend malaise start to abate. We both loathe missing church. It is a big part of our life and not being there leaves us feeling sort of empty. We still listen in on the services via Facebook, but that is not at all the same. 
This morning, I worked on a couple things here at the farm, but mostly I concentrated on cleaning out the small goat barn our Billy goats are in. As the pile of manure and refuse began to accumulate on the other side of the fence, I realized just how long I had let it go. Two hours after I had begun, I had a small mountain piled up. We will move it to a location where we have a compost pile, but for the moment, getting it out of the little barn was the objective. It is hard to tell what I did other than by looking at the pile I left behind. But I know.
Since that chore wore me out, I decided to lay out the extension we have been considering for the now repurposed duck pen. I took some string and laid out the two sides of the enclosure that needs to be fenced. I was thinking that if Norman and Grandpa were interested in working on that fencing tomorrow, I would put my suggestion out there with string and a stake. After I lined that out, I got ready to go to the office.
Tomorrow, for the first time since my retirement, I will be presenting a class for EWN. They are in a bind with the class schedule, and I have been asked to fill in some of the holes in scheduling instructors for classes this week and through April. I met my ex-boss this afternoon at the office and got a computer set up so I could use the company facilities – and internet – to present the class. All told, that took a little over two hours, but my computer should be ready to go. We will see how that goes in the morning.
I am a little nervous about teaching the class even though I have done the same presentation several hundred times. That apprehension is actually a good thing. It keeps me on my toes and keeps me humble. The honest truth is that if I only do fair job of presenting the class, it will meet the immediate need. I want to do better than okay, but I am seriously out of practice, so I hope no one from EWN sees me stumble about tomorrow.
As I was heading home from the office, I was asking the Lord to show me what I could spend the afternoon doing. There are still multiple projects going on at the farm. To my surprise, Grandpa and Norman had already set the fenceposts for the new fencing I had laid out. When I arrived home, they were busy cleaning up the junk that had been set there as it was moved from other cleanup projects. We did not get to the point of stretching out the fence, but everything is in place. Praise the Lord!
Meanwhile, in my time away from the museum, I have been trying in vain to get some technical help with the issues I am having with our electron microscope. In a shot in the dark move, I called the University of Houston to see if I could be put in touch with someone in the Biology department who operates their electron microscope. My first call went nowhere. So, I started searching their website to see if I could find any contacts. I emailed the head of the Imaging department since theirs was the only email listed. 
I was hopeful because the image on the web page was of an electron microscope almost identical to ours. I did get a reply. The PhD Department Head responded that she had never operated an electron microscope so she could not help me. I thanked her for the quick response and asked if she would put me in touch with someone who did operate their electron microscope. Her response was that I should call the manufacturer. 
I will try another approach Wednesday, but definitely with a different person.


0 comments:

Post a Comment