Demo Site

Friday, August 6, 2010

I think I’m gonna die, Dinner with Mama

On the way home from helping out at the rummage sale our church was having, one of the young ones we watch looked up at me and with a sincerity known only to those of that age stated, “Papa Tim, I think I am gonna to die.” (I admit having to resist the urge to assure him that we are all going to die at some point but it is a little too early for him to focus on that.) “Really, what makes you think so?”
“I have a lot of booboos and if you have a lot of booboos you don’t get to grow up!” “Show me one of your booboos.” He promptly showed me a fresh scrape on his knee. (I had to put on my glasses to see it but it was very significant to him.) I just wanted to clarify that we were talking about physical injuries and not poor judgments. He is only five years old, but you never know what they can be capable of understanding.
“You’ll be fine” I assured him. “I had bigger booboos than that and look at me now.”
“So even with booboos I still get to grow up?”
“Yup.”
“Thanks, Papa Tim.” It is always nice to be able to help.
Mama and I went out for our anniversary dinner last night. The actual date is Sunday but since I am working nights this weekend, we went a little early. It was a delightful evening. We had been talking about places to go out to eat, but had not settled on anything particular until Mama remembered the pastor talking about PF Chang’s; a fancy Chinese restaurant in Princeton. We pass it every time we travel down Route 1 to the airport in Philadelphia and have never eaten there, so we went.
We had been told it was expensive, but it really wasn’t. The food was the best I have ever eaten and it was nothing like I have ever eaten. The egg drop soup was so different from anything I have had that I think I could make a full meal of it and be perfectly satisfied. We asked to be seated on the patio. It was about 84 degrees with a slight breeze, shaded, covered seating, bright enough to enjoy but not too hot.
The meal was not rushed so we had plenty of time to enjoy the evening and the food. It was only forty five dollars for the two of us for soup, appetizer, two entrees and a mini dessert. After the meal we walked to a nearby store that caught our eye and found it was attached to a mall we had no idea was there.
Mama bought some baby cloths and I bought a brass key organizer made in the shape of six little piggy butts with the tails curled to hold key rings. That kind or clever, unusual thing suits us.
Twenty-eight years later, she’s still the one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment