Demo Site

Friday, November 9, 2012

Purchases, plans, livestock

Mama and I went to Denton yesterday evening. She met me at work and we took the truck from there to get the appliances. We drove right to the house and I loaded up everything while Mama and the lady of the house talked. Mama helped some with the loading up but mostly she visited. The appliances look to be in good shape so I feel pretty confident that we have most of our kitchen ready to go. Mama seemed happy with the purchase and I took her out to eat at Chick-fil-A after we got loaded up. It was a good trip for her.


When we got back to Decatur I had planned to fill the truck with diesel and then head home. So after we got the truck filled up we did just that. I had not gotten very far before I remembered that the car was sitting at the office so we turned around and went back so Mama could drive it home. We were home and unloaded by 9 p.m. It was a worthwhile trip.

The cast iron sink that came in the deal will probably be used in the farm house when we remodel it next year – Lord willing. My plans are to erect the log kit in a 24x24 barn and use the lumber from the demolition of the house (mainly the roof, the upper story and the back rooms) to complete the barn. Then we can start new on the house and make it into a salt box style home. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I did make contact with a person who had a set of cabinets advertized that I really wanted to get but they responded last night that they had sold them that very night. We missed out on a very good deal on that one but there will be others. Now we even have a little shed with a concrete floor to house these purchases until we are ready to place them in the apartment.

I got to see the finished slab in the headlights last night and it looks like another amazing job by the same crew who did our apartment slab. It looked perfectly polished. I know we do not need a pretty slab for a shop building but it is a nice start to the project. It will be interesting to see who is the first to scratch it or spill something on it.

Trade Days is tomorrow. Mama and I are planning on buying the door for the apartment from one of the regular vendors. I lost his card so I could not make the special request for the door we need so I am hoping he has it with him. He is usually pretty well stocked. With that purchase I have everything at hand to fully weather in the apartment. All I lack is the metal siding to complete the outside walls - and the roof.

Mama is taking a chicken to the vet this morning to see if they can diagnose what is ailing our little flock. I am thinking that it might be better to start over in the spring but we will wait for the vets pronouncement on that. We have gotten very used to the fresh eggs every day and would like to keep the ones we have but these things happen and we will deal with it as required.

This may be the last week of morning feedings for the calves. I am praying fro seven more to come to the farm to fill the stalls once they are outgrown by our maturing herd. As I look at the little calves grazing in the calf lot it is hard to tell how much they have grown. Mama, Victoria and Grandpa can tell but I will need to compare them to a new batch to really tell.

Grandpa and Mama have done very well by this first batch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment