Demo Site

Monday, October 5, 2015

An interesting weekend


I took off Thursday and Friday just to burn through some vacation days. We still had full evenings with FBI on Thursday and RU on Friday but I was able to use the daylight hours to get some more work done on the foundation of the coop building. I got it completed by late Friday evening and was still able to get ready in plenty of time for our RU meeting.

Thursday as I was working on the coop foundation I looked over toward the pig pen because I heard some very happy pig noises. You can get a pretty good feel for the disposition of pigs when you are around them for a while – and they sounded a little too happy. As I stared for a moment I realized I was seeing too much of two of them. Somehow they had gotten out.

I wasn’t terribly worried because they generally do not venture far from the food but I knew I needed to first, discover how they had gotten out and second, get them back in. I hollered for Mama but finally had to go to the house to get her. I knew the pigs would respond better to her than to me - she is the one that feeds them. I did find pretty quickly how they had gotten out; Mama had left the gate latch open and even though the gate opens into the pen – standard construction for pigs – they had nosed it open and found their way out.

We got them back into the enclosure pretty quickly and were moving on when I decided to make sure the chicks we had put in the little chicken house were all getting up and down the ramp from the bottom level to the nesting level on the top. As I shooed them down the ramp one of them got out on me and took off a t a dead run. It did not go very far and eventually Mama was able to trap it and put it back in the coop.

But just after we got that done Sasha, who we had penned in the back yard in order to keep her and Sam from trying to herd the pigs for us, started to exert her dominance over Kobe. Kobe tolerated her standing over her for a brief moment and then fought back with a vengeance. If she had been a little older, Sasha would have been taken down very quickly.

 Anyway, Mama took off running as fast as she could to get to the fracas. (That in itself was slightly comical but is did not spend too much time thinking about it.)  I was pretty sure it would be over pretty quickly – and that if and when I got there I would handle it differently than Mama; in a way that would not make her happy.

All that happened in the space of a few minutes. Mama went into the house totally worn out. I went back to work on the coop building. Life on the farm!

Friday went by without much ado. Saturday I went bus calling with the pastor and later Mama and I went to get Mr. Plumley so he could spend a few hours at the house with us. He helped me unload a few boards, move some dirt in the garden and tend to a few trees in the back yard. He swept the back patio and sat with us and watched the chicks Victoria had put out in a makeshift enclosure in the yard.

After we took him home Mama and I went to the church and picked up a few long two by fours from some crates that the metal roofing insurance was replacing on both buildings had been shipped in. I will use them on the coop building sometime this week.

Sunday morning we left for church and found the road blocked by a tree that had fallen across the road. I had to go back to the house, change and get the tractor so I could push the tree to the side of the road. As I got back to the tree with the tractor the man who tends to the property past us was trying to move the tree by hand. The tractor made pretty quick work of it and he was thankful I had come. He told me that when he had pulled onto the road his first thought was that we were probably going to be late for church. It’s nice to have a good witness among neighbors.

Once done I had to put the tractor away and redress for church. We were a little late for Sunday School.

It was a fun weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment