Demo Site

Monday, October 23, 2017

Bowie visits, the Fair, the twins


Friday evening Mama and I loaded two of our girl goats to take them to Bowie so they could visit with a Billy goat. Since we were headed that direction, I wanted to take the time to swing by the old homestead and look at the condition of the logs we parked there over four years ago. I tried everything I could to cover them and save the logs from too much direct contact with the wind, rain and sun, but nothing I did worked because of the high winds in the area. The covers either ended up in tatters or blown into the tops of nearby trees. Anyway, when we got there I crossed the fence to get to the logs while Mama turned the truck around. The logs look very good; weathered and darkened but still in good shape.

It was good to see what Danny had done with the place. It is cleaned up and mowed. Slabs have been poured for the front porch of the apartment and the shop addition. The mobile home has been moved. It all looked good. Danny has made several additions to the property just so he could store his stuff but many of the old buildings are still there and being used. Danny has completely redone the front porch because recently a tornado came through the property and ripped the old one off. (Mama and I do not miss the constant, severe weather that seems to have Bowie in its crosshairs.) We visited with Danny for about an hour before we headed to Rick’s to offload the goats. It is always a pleasant visit when we get together with Danny. He told us to get a good look at the old farmhouse. It is going to be demolished this coming weekend. Sad but necessary.

It was beginning to darken when we got the goats put into the enclosure Rick uses for that purpose and Rick is having trouble with his eyes – especially at night – so we were not able to visit too long. He did send Mama a text on Saturday evening to let us know that Lilly had been bred by Mama’s favorite Billy goat, Nick.

Mama and Victoria spent Saturday at the Texas State Fair so Mr. Plumley would have a chance to see the Fair. While they were there I loaded up the two cows Mama and planned to take to the stock sale – which happens today – and delivered them as planned. They were a load for our stock trailer. It was only the two of them but the trailer and my truck seemed to struggle with the weight and movement. It was a relief that I only had to get to Decatur to offload them. When I hooked up the gooseneck stock trailer I noticed that the wiring for the lights had been chewed on. It looked iffy, but the brake lights and turn signals worked so I headed out with what I had.

The two calves that were left on the farm bawled loudly all night because I had taken their mamas from them. One of them even worked her way through the fence to go scout out the neighbor’s place but we got her and Daisy back home Sunday evening. Whether or not we can keep them there remains to be seen. By the time I parked the trailer, the wiring had come apart. Oh, well. I will have to redo it for the next run – and somehow keep the animals and/or rodents from nibbling on it.

Just about the time I got the trailer parked and was taking the tractor back to the house, Brittany and Andrew and the twins pulled in the drive. They scheduled a visit this weekend to surprise Mama. They had not been there but a few minutes when Mama and Victoria made it home. One of the reasons I had hurried through the work I had lined up for the day was because I knew about the twins coming to visit. I even managed to squeeze out two hours to go to Lee Davis’ ordination service before taking the cows to the stock sale.

Mama was almost too overwhelmed to speak when Brittany and I brought the girls out to meet her. We had a very pleasant weekend with the babies – and the parents. The twins were a big hit at church. Andrew and I had to sit and wait after both services for the crowds to dissipate before we could load everyone up and get home. Brittany, Andrew, Victoria and the twins spent a couple hours Sunday afternoon with Grandma and Grandpa. Also, a pleasant visit. They will head back how this morning.

It was a very productive, very enjoyable weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment