Demo Site

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The follow up, follow through


I had a follow up visit with the doctor yesterday evening. It was somewhat helpful. In the interview/consultation I tried to outline that the colon problems I have experienced in the past do not seem to be directly related to diet but rather to stress. He was not overly receptive of the idea – as should be expected looking at this from a purely medical perspective; however, he was willing to give me the benefit of the doubt. With that in mind, he prescribed several medications to help with the inflammation, the infection and the constant tightness in my back. Mama and I have used a certain muscle relaxer in the past but we cut he pills in half and only take them on the weekends because they cause excessive drowsiness. The one recommended by the physician is not supposed to cause the drowsiness that our normal prescription causes. If what I am feeling this morning is any indication of how I will be affected that supposition is proving untrue. About fifteen minutes after I took the medication -as recommended – this morning, I was having trouble standing upright. I did not struggle too much on the drive to work but now that I am sitting at my desk, the effects are a bit problematic.

The reason the muscle relaxer was prescribed is actually a good one. If I can relieve the constant tension in my back, there is a chance that the pain I am constantly trying to suppress will ease up. My back has always been an issue and it has always been very tight – which I considered a measure of the strength of my back. But, if muscles are constantly tense, there will eventually be harmful consequences. Perhaps the doctor is onto something with that line of reasoning. However, if the medication makes me this dizzy we will have to try another route to relieve the tension. If I can ever get myself to stop and do it, I believe tai chi will be a great benefit. Who knows, with the extended periods of dark in the evenings through the fall and winter, I might find the energy and time and dedication to explore the idea.

With the cooler nights we can already see the benefits of the new windows. The chef’s pantry has been the coldest room in the house. It is the furthest room on the HVAC system and sits right off the garage so there is no buffering the seepage of cold air into the room. With the new window in that room, it was actually much warmer than normal this morning. The outside temperature was 43° and it was practically warm in the room when I went into the room this morning. That is a good sign.

All the animals are starting to put on their winter coat – at least the cattle, goats and rabbits are. I do not know if the chickens do anything to prepare for the colder temperatures but the changes to the fur bearing animals is noticeable. I still need to get the well house built in order to protect the well in the barn lot but at the moment I do not have the funds necessary to get that done. It will have to be done soon, but I still have a few weeks before it is imperative.

I also need to put doors on the goat barn, repair windows in the chicken coop, put lights in the barn, till the garden, finish and insulate the shop, bed the trees and shrubs and make several little repairs to the sun room before winter begins in earnest. Mama wants the fireplace to be working this winter but I cannot see that happening. It will be a major project and we lack the funds to pull that one off.

Still, all in all, I always look forward to winter. This year is no exception.

0 comments:

Post a Comment