Demo Site

Monday, November 20, 2017

Goat chatter, behind the shop, help, the pups


Friday evening, Mama and I went to Bowie to get the truck. I took some time to talk with Roger to get the low down on the repairs while Mama headed to Rick’s to talk goats. He has a slew of baby goats and it was fun to watch their antics as we talked over how to advertise, market and price the ones we are wanting to sell. I believe we settled on a description, a price to ask and a place to post the advertisement. After this weekend – Thanksgiving weekend – we will start the process and see if we have success. Stopping at Tractor Supply and Walmart put us back home well after dark, but with Saturday being a pretty free day, we did not need to hurry.


Saturday was very windy. The winds started out of the East and shifted westerly by noon. 



Later in the day they came out of the North and the temperature dropped drastically. I did not venture to far from the house because it was a very bad day for me as far as my colon was concerned. I have been keeping a food journal so I can cross reference what I eat with how my colon reacts. So far, I have not been able to see a direct correlation between food intake and the severity of the pain. Traveling does not help diet wise, but I make the best of the situation. Anyway, between bouts of cramps and time in the bathroom, I worked on the back of the shop.

The pipe fencing on the east side of the shop- formerly a carport - was not set in a way that made sense for the shop. Some of the fencing needs to be moved to make it practical for the back of the shop especially. Nate and I already took up one of the two pieces of fence that needed to be moved in back of the shop. Saturday, I cut and moved the other. To get to it I had to clean up all the stuff I had set against it when I thought we were going to get the shop blacktopped. Once exposed, I started cutting the pipe with my Sawzall. I had to wait at one point for Mama and Victoria to get back from their shopping trip in town because I had used up all the metal cutting blades I had available and they were bringing me some new blades. With the new blades I quickly got the section cut loose. I had already dug out the post and beaten off the concrete poured around it so the single post on that section came out of the ground easily.

While waiting on Mama, I dug the hole for the post at the new location. That is difficult in this ground. On each new post hole, I dig as far as possible and then fill the hole with water. When the water soaks in, I dig some more. I was fortunate with this hole because the water soaked in within a couple of hours – during which time I delivered feed to the barn, picked up some pipe, a pipe gate, some fencing for the new enclosure and swapped out the hay forks for the bucket. I was happy to be able to set to fence in place (180 degrees from the original position), level and square it and have it ready to weld by dark. Looking back on how long that one seven-foot section of fence took me to move, I dreaded tackling the forty-foot section in front of the shop. Fortuantely for me, Chester stopped by Sunday evening to look at that project and see if he and Chuck will tackle it for me. I will find out this week if they can do the work, when they can do it and how much it will cost me.

Victoria already has one of the five pups sold. She got a deposit Friday. Scheduled pickup for the week of Christmas. Let’s hope they all sell that quickly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment