Demo Site

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Range, surgery



I had to get Trace, Krystal and the boys for church Sunday evening. So, we got to talk on the way to and from church. He needs a full-time job right now, but he is doing well enough to get by housing, feeding and clothing his family of five. Anyway, I asked if he would be off Christmas Eve. I needed help installing the range Mama and I bought to replace the well-used cooktop that is failing on us. Installing the range will require cutting out the cabinets and countertop to accommodate the appliance and I thought it would be nice to have the help. As we talked about it, he offered to come yesterday. He is working for a local rancher and was off Monday. I took him up on that offer.

He, Krystal and the boys came over to the farm about 2 pm and he got started on dismantling the cabinets while Krystal and the boys helped decorate the Christmas Tree. Mama took everyone but Trace to Decatur for practices of some sort and to buy a plug and receptacle for the stove. Trace had moved pretty quickly on the project and was at the point of starting to make the cuts to the countertop when I got home. He had been careful in removing the cabinet doors and drawers. I hope to reuse them to enclose the space where the double ovens now sit – when I tackle that job. As I prepared to cut the countertop, I assured him that if we made a mistake it would not be a major problem because I plan to replace the cabinets and countertops later this year. I had to hold to that promise when I realized he had measured incorrectly, and we cut the opening in the countertop a little over an inch too wide. The rest of the opening I cut to size. It will not matter I the long run, but it really bothered Trace. In reality, most kitchens have an opening larger that the range to accommodate varying sizes of appliances. They make seals to cover that gap.

We got the point of sliding the range into place to test our measurements. We would have hooked up everything and been complete, but the only things Krystal and Mama forgot were the electrical parts I needed to supply power to the range. That I can tackle this evening after we get back from the hospital. I was pleased with the project and thankful for the help. Our next indoor project is to install the interior doors I bought over a year ago.

Mama and I are both fasting this morning. Mama is required to do so. I am doing so to help her. Even though we are not physically together this morning, she knows I am fasting with her and that seems to help her. It is a good thing for me. My belly needs the rest. Her surgery has been moved up to 3:30 pm. That is a blessing. I will work a shortened day and we will head to the hospital around 12:30. Her prep normally takes about two hours. The surgery should takes less than an hour. I got the approval letter from insurance yesterday evening and as Mama read over the approved procedures listed in the letter, she realized the extent of the work that is going to be done. She will be dealing with a good bit of pain following the surgery, but the recovery will be much easier than the original replacement surgery. As always, we will take it as it comes.

We are hoping to start physical therapy right after the first of the year. If that does not work out, I have a standing offer from one of the ladies here at work to help Mama get her exercises done. This particular person would not hesitate to do whatever was needed to ensure Mama’s full recovery. She is not an unkind person; far from it. She is just one of those individuals that is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. She recently had shoulder surgery and her recovery was somewhat like Mama’s. The doctors recommended a second surgery to help her get her range of motion back and she refused. As in Mama’s case, she had to be at a specified range of motion by a certain date to avoid the second surgery. She put herself through all the pain needed to get that motion back – and succeeded.

In Mama’s case, there is the general acquiesce to the notion that surgery is the only way to clean enough scar tissue out of the joint to allow her to have the ability to move into the range of motion we are looking for. We are both hopeful that this will do it. And we are both thankful that Mama has recovered sufficiently from her cold and cough to have the surgery done.

Yesterday one of my coworkers poured from a bag of peanut M&M’s onto a plate so we could all share. The only colors were red and green. When I came in this morning, only a few of the green ones were left.  I have to assume people really don’t like eating greens...in any form.

0 comments:

Post a Comment