Demo Site

Monday, February 25, 2019

Savanna and the boys, shop work, yard work, Sunday




Mama and Victoria kept the Thomason boys until yesterday afternoon. Krystal and baby Savanna were released from the hospital mid-morning Saturday. Trace, Krystal and Savanna came by the farm so the boys could meet their new sister, but they had to wear masks while holding her. The three of them have a cough. Nathan, the youngest, is the worst. He was also the least interested in holding the baby. They only stayed a couple hours. Krystal was still worn out. More from the hospital stay than from the birth. Trace, by extension, was also worn out. They were both looking forward to getting to their home and sleeping in their own bed. Whether or not the baby allowed them to do that is another issue. We did our part by keeping the boys one more night. But Savanna is home. Now the real work begins.
I was working in the shop when Trace and Krystal came over. I have had a roll up door for the back of the shop lying around for months now. I finally took the time to get it installed Saturday. I framed in a glass storm door at the back of the shop in the opening I built for the roller, and I liked the light that door let into the shop, but it is not the safest set up for a shop entry. So, I removed the door, the framing and the metal put in place in that opening and set the roller door in place. It was not what I had on my list to do last weekend. I had planned on lining up the barn doors I had installed on the west end of the goat barn. The doors are in the rails but they need to be adjusted and the rails need to be welded to supports to finalize the project. But the wind was blowing out of the west at 30 mph – gusting to 40. When working with the size doors I had installed, that was not a safe situation, so I moved into the shop to work.  I am pleased with the way the shop door turned out. Now it is properly placed, and I will not have to move it again. It is nice to open spaces taken up by materials bought for projects that are now getting done. Parts for the barn doors, parts for the shop door, parts for the shop walls are slowly getting used as planned and I gain the space on the shop floor and walls as those materials meet their purpose. It’s a fun process. Sadly, it has been a slow process.

While Mama and I were feeding our herds and flocks Saturday evening – with Victoria and the boys helping – Nathan started using a plastic shovel to dig in random areas in the coop yard. I suggested I had a place for him to dig on purpose. He was interested, so we got a real shovel and the wheel barrow and headed to the patio where the canna lilies had taken over the circle we planted them in two or three years ago. We took out a wheel barrow full of bulbs. We replanted a few bulbs. We want something there, just not the mess that was there. The rest of the bulbs we removed are still sitting in the wheel barrow. I am not sure what I will do with them, but they will not be placed anywhere near the house.

Mama stayed home with Nathan Sunday morning. His cough was still bad. The rest of us did what we normally do Sunday morning; church, the restaurant, home for a nap. Just before we stopped to rest, Trace came over to get the boys. We overslept in our napping and I hurried to get the animals tended before I left for Master’s Club and choir practice. Mama and Victoria came later. They were parking as I was heading to our Men’s meeting – about 6 pm. They had gone to Braum’s for dinner. That seems to have become a thing for them. They go out to eat while I am at choir practice. It has something to do with Victoria’s timing of meals, which seems to be helping her lose weight. But it leaves me out of our Sunday night routine…which is not necessarily a bad thing.

It is, however, a great opportunity to tease Mama.

0 comments:

Post a Comment