Demo Site

Thursday, August 26, 2021

Illnesses, scheduling

With the large uptick in COVID illnesses lately, it was not a huge surprise that Grandma and Grandpa have come down with COVID. We were not sure until Grandpa worked up the energy to go and get tested. He tested positive. Norman, who is in the small camper with Grandma and Grandpa is also infected and according to Grandpa, is very sick. Prior to them getting sick, Grandma reported that nearly everyone in the RV park in which they are staying has succumbed to COVID. I am not sure how many persons that actually refers to, but it is significant that it is so universal in their little community. We did not hear any reports of hospitalizations or deaths as a result of the sickness. Regardless of the panic we are hearing all about us, this strain of the virus is far less fatal that the original strain released on the world by the Chinese. Since Grandpa and Grandma each have several underlying medical conditions, there is reason for concern. Still, there is no reason for panic. The illness can be treated, and we will do so as best we can – all the while avoiding the hospital for the time being.

Yesterday Shaelyn, a niece to Grandma and Grandpa who lives about an hour away, spent the day with our sick in-laws. She was able to provide some needed comfort and conduct some urgent cleaning and sanitizing of the camper. She got Grandma to drink some electrolyte solution. Grandma was able to keep the drink down. Shaelyn was not successful in getting Grandpa or Norman to keep the liquid down. Hydration is the prime goal of our initial care. When Mama and I were sick recently, we did not struggle with nausea on the level that it seems to be affecting them, but it seems to be the case for the three of them. In any event, Shaeyn will go back today and do some follow up in her caregiving. I have not had an update this morning of the ongoing condition of our ill folk, but I am not expecting anything less than an improvement in their condition over time, followed by a full recovery. We will know more when Mama is on the scene. Please continue to pray for a quick recovery and a special strength for Mama.

Mama will be traveling out very early tomorrow morning to help in their recovery. I am a little concerned for her making the trip. I am not at all worried about COVID. I am worried about where she will sleep. With her arrival, there will be four persons in that small camper, three of whom are largely confined to the limited sleeping stations available. Grandpa and Norman are somewhat mobile but I am not at all sure if there is enough bedding for Mama to have clean linens when she needs to share one of those sleeping areas. Grandma is not mobile at all according to Grandpa. I am sure it will all work out, but I am concerned for Mama none-the-less. After I drop Mama off at the airport – somewhere around 5 am – I will have to get back to the HQ house to get set up to present a class that morning. It will be a long day for both me and Mama. Hers will be significantly more difficult than mine.

So today, in addition to my work requirements, we will be packing and planning. Planning for the ongoing list of cores that must be done regardless of which one of us is absent from the farm. Fortunately, I have only two classes next week, so I will be working from home the other three weekdays. That helps get the majority of the important daily cores done in an appropriate manner. Mama will be back on Monday the 5th. At least that is the plan. We will judge that return date based on the expected improvement of our recovering patients.

As stated, I will be teaching again tomorrow. It is a half-day class, so I should be back to the farm between 1 and 2 pm. At that time, I will need to ensure waterers for the chickens are full and feeders have been checked. I will feed our very hungry goats at that time. A little late for the morning feeding. A little early for the evening feeding. They will not be very pleased, but they will survive. All the animals will have to get by on the single feeding tomorrow. That will also be the case on the days I teach while Mama is absent from the farm.  

Sunday, we have a family day at church with dinner following the service. So, Saturday I will be preparing for that as well as getting all the other little things done as I am able – cleaning coops, cleaning barns, servicing the hives, catching upon the weed eating and trimming, etc.

Busy times ahead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment