Demo Site

Monday, January 1, 2024

Answered prayers, retirement


I have not written in quite a while, but I would be remiss if I did not begin to do so once again. I lost interest in updating this blog because it seemed a less than profitable way to spend an hour or more each day, but I began to be convicted about losing this opportunity to praise the Lord for all the blessings He gives us in our daily walk with Him, especially lately. Mama and I have had one answer to prayer after another and week after week, the Lord has opened the windows of blessing for us.
The answers we have seen are not big things, but each answer to prayer was met in a very specific way. For instance, I decided a few weeks ago that we should get rid of our ducks. Mama was not thrilled with the idea, but eventually saw the reason behind letting them go. With Winter setting in, the work required to keep the ducks in water was a huge chore. So, we prayed that the Lord would supply buyers to purchase all our ducks. I set up at Trade Days in December with the fourteen ducks we had left. I did not want to bring any home with me. I sold eight that morning, but I had to leave at 1 pm to make a choir practice scheduled for Saturday afternoon. I left the six remaining ducks with Norman, who had also set up to sell some odds and ends. Before he left for the day, Norman sold the remaining six ducks. As we had prayed, we came how with empty cages.
Although we miss the loud quacking as we head out of the house to feed each morning and evening, we are pleased that we made the move to sell the ducks. Now, our evening routine of closing up the animals each night takes only a few minutes instead of a half hour or more. 
We have had very specific prayers answered concerning individuals we have been praying for. I cannot mention them specifically, but it is exciting to know that our prayers have touched the heart of God. Each time that happens, we stop and thank God for letting us connect to the work HE is doing in the lives of those around us. 
Another answer to prayer was finally getting the spray on insulation applied to the ceiling of the container. After a couple failed attempts to apply insulation panels to the ceiling, I discovered that there are only certain adhesives that will stick to metal. Nothing Norman or I tried to use worked properly, so we started to do a lot of research. I finally found an acoustical spray on insulation that would work. With a little more research, I discovered that not all the spray on insulation formulas are white or that ugly yellow. I found a gray colored spray. Not only did it go on well and adhere well, but it looks great. Even Norman was very impressed with how the project came out. Mama loves it!
Now I can move on with the project finishing up the insulation on the walls, installing a set of French doors, and all the paneling that is waiting to be attached to the interior walls. Once I get the container sealed up, I can get it warmed up inside and painted. Following a little bit of trim work, Mama and I can set up shop. I am so ready to get this done. An added bonus is that now that I am officially retired, I will have the time to put in the hours to make that happen.
Yes, I am officially retired. I waited until the end of the year to retire in order to give myself the financial bump I felt we were lacking at the earlier proposed June 30th date. I am glad I waited. I was given two bonuses from my employer prior to the end of the year and Mama and I got a sizable refund from our mortgage company because I changed insurance providers, saving almost $1500 per year on home owners insurance. Praise the Lord!
So, for the past week, I have been exploring what it is like to not have to report for work but rather tackle all the little projects I have let slide because I had only a few hours per week to invest in them. I almost overdid it for a couple days, but I will learn to pace myself. It is amazing to have full days to spend in whatever way I see necessary for that day. Eight years ago, I took a year between jobs to practice retirement, but now I am fully committed. The only downside is that at 67 I can feel my strength lagging a bit more than I did those years ago when I was laid off and spent a year living off my severance package. Oh, well. I still have enough strength to do most all the things I see that need to be done. 
It may take me a bit longer or require some extra help, but I can figure out a way to meet the task. God is Good!

0 comments:

Post a Comment