Demo Site

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Banking, wet and cold, doctor visits

Mama and I spent the majority of the morning doing banking. Having the time to do so has eluded s to this point, so we took advantage of the opportunity. We physically visited two banks in Decatur, one, to close an account and a second to restore Mama’s web access to the account. That was kind of funny, because the lady helping Mama get her access straightened out told Mama her User ID, which Mama thought was her password. So, Mama had all the right information, she was just entering it backwards. Anyway, we placed the money from the account we had closed into the new account, made several stops around town and eventually headed home. Mama and I are still adapting to my open schedule.

Before we had left home, I had spent almost thirty minutes on the phone with a representative from another bank (our third for the day), resetting my online access. It turned out that the bank had recently reset many of the web access features and my access had been lost in the transition. 

The reset required three test codes to be entered at different intervals in the process, a copy of my driver’s license be sent – front and back - and something else I cannot remember at the moment. It was somewhat convoluted, but the account manager helping me was extremely patient and kind. In the end, we got it all worked out. I regained my online access and will complete getting funds moved and the accounts closed tomorrow and Thursday. We are consolidating to make things simpler in my retirement. At least, that is the intent.

On the farm, I did not get much done. It was a cold, wet day and working outside was miserable, so I did not attempt to tackle too much. I did cover the opening that will soon hold a French door on the container. My hope is that I can warm the container sufficiently to complete the touch up on the insulation we blew onto the ceiling and seal up the sides of the window opening I cut into the container. Both applications require the metal to be warmer that the ambient temperatures we are currently experiencing. Once we get those nagging tasks finalized and I complete the walls, we will be able to paint. That is, if I can get it warm enough inside the big metal box. For now, I have only one oil filled heater inside the container. To start the warming process. I want to see how much that does before I get too aggressive and drive up our electric bill more than necessary. 

Late this afternoon, actually into the evening, Mama and Norman both had appointments scheduled with the doctor they are seeing. The arrangement with this doctor is for a nominal fee each month paid for her services, they have virtually unlimited access to her and can call at any time for help. They can schedule appointments as often as needed and can have a full blood workup once per year, all for a set monthly fee. It is a very reasonable charge. From my way of seeing it, it is a pretty good arrangement. There is no catastrophic coverage for hospital stays or surgeries, but we will cross that bridge if we get there. For now, this is all Mama or Norman need, and it has proven a workable primary care solution. 

As Mama rested this afternoon, I started feeding early. I had feed to haul to two locations around the enclosures, and the forecast was for rain to start about the time we typically go out to feed. As it turned out, I was putting things away and heading inside as the first raindrops began to fall. The rain that started at that time has continued through the evening and is predicted to remain steady through most of the night. It is a soft, very cold rain. So, we will not get a lot of accumulation, a half inch or less. It is a welcome respite and a relief to our dry conditions. 

It seems that the fire we kept burning in the fireplace all day yesterday would have been more appropriate today, but that is not how we did it. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment