Demo Site

Friday, May 23, 2014

Hay, Mama’s shopping habits, mending fences, pig news


Between Mama’s and my efforts we got all the hay cut yesterday. That’s the good news. The bad news is that the rains that were predicted to start on Sunday evening have moved into the area faster than expected and there is a good chance of rain this evening and tomorrow. If the rains do hold off until Saturday night I should be able to get the hay baled and into the barn before they start; if not, I will have to leave the cut hay sit until next weekend before I can get it baled. I would never pray that the Lord hold off the coming rains, but a minor delay would be most helpful.

Mama did find her purse yesterday and was choosing between two when I called – after my late meeting of the day. The caveat is that by the time she had completed the purchase she was no longer thrilled about the purchase and is now needing to return it to the store. I have never understood that about her but I have come to accept the fact that she is required to make two to three purchases – and the subsequent returns – before settling on a final selection.

She and Victoria got home from Wichita Falls at the same time I was finishing up cutting the meadow. It took a combined effort of about six total hours to get the cutting done. It took me a full hour to get the mower taken off of the tractor and set in a way I was confident would secure it until the next cutting. I am hoping Grandpa will help me service it before we use it again – if he comes down next month.

As I was briefly online yesterday I found a man selling the cedar posts I have been looking for. We had one previous contact but that fell through last month. I called the man and asked enough questions to assure myself that he could really supply the posts so Mama and I may go down to get the first batch on Monday; if he is available that day.

I have an enormous amount of fence to repair and upgrade, and the posts are the key to getting it done at a coat I can afford. The fortunate part of all this is that we have such docile cattle that the fencing has never been an issue even though it is in poor condition. There is one pasture that we do not let the cattle graze because we are concerned the fence would not hold them, but that has not been an issue thus far. If we can get that repaired I will have an extra five acres or so to let them eat down.

Mama is contemplating selling the little pigs but before we go there she is taking them to the vet to diagnose the constant itching that has caused the two of them to scratch themselves bald. I am not opposed to keeping them but I have no facilities for them and have no good prospect of getting a pen build in the very near future. If we keep them we will eventually have a home for them, just not right away.

Memorial Day is upon us already. Where has the year gone?

0 comments:

Post a Comment