Demo Site

Friday, March 3, 2017

Planting and projects, more travel, health considerations


Mama and I hurriedly planted a second row of potatoes last night. I bought the seed potatoes at the same time I had bought the ones we planted two weeks ago, but we did not have the time them to get them in the ground. So, while I put out a bale of hay for the cows and took an extra few minutes to clean up the dregs from the last few bales they have eaten down, Mama cut the potatoes for planting. Right now, I have a very large pile of dirty, moldy hay mixed with their manure rotting in the barn lot by the tank. In a couple years, it will be some very rich compost. Presently, it is just sitting waiting on some rain to help it start to really degrade. I am hoping it will supply some large worms the next time the grandkids are here for a visit. Moving around those accumulated, dusty, molded hay remains sets me to coughing every time I have to do it. You would think that by now I would remember to take at least a dust mask with me, but I did not.

I have not made progress on any of the projects I have started. Last month was one of those months that we spent a lot of time either traveling or feeling poorly - or both. I have high hopes that this month I will be able to complete the raised beds in the garden and reinforce the roosts I put up I did not take enough time to make right in the coops. They are functional but when sixty pounds worth of chickens started to gather on them the first night the brackets I used started to bend under the load. I have the materials. I just need the time. The same is almost true of the raised bed. I have most of the material but I am struggling with getting the post holes deep enough to ensure it will carry the weight of the dirt, plants and water that will be required. I am only about a quarter of the way into that project.

This afternoon we will head to Amarillo. I do not think Chase and Makaila will be home this weekend so visiting them will not be a part of the trip. Mostly we are going to meet with our tax account but secondarily – or maybe secondly primary – we are going so Mama can do some shopping. She has a list and I know the few items I need to take care of are on that list. I have no clue what else is on there but I have a high level of confidence that we will not be able to get it all done in the relatively short time frame we have to work in. We will certainly try. The issue is sticking to the list. There is so much Mama wants to do that if we add an item we have to take something else off. Both of us are looking forward to the time away; even if it is a business-related outing. Neither of us seem bothered by the ten-hour round trip. We have done it so often that it is not an issue.

Victoria was home sick again yesterday. I asked Mama to schedule us for a doctor exam. In light of the time that both Victoria and I have been fighting respiratory issues it would be prudent to find out if there is an underlying condition that we can begin to treat and rectify. I asked Mama to see if I could be scheduled for a full physical. It has been at least eight years since my last one and I do not think I have had as stressful a year as last year in a very long time. With the layoff and all the financial decisions associated with that, losing both Mom and Dad in a twelve-month period, starting a new job – twice over, a month long bronchial infection – twice over, and so many other little things. Looking back, it is humbling to see how the Lord provided, protected and sustained me and Mama through it all. This year is shaping up to be a full calendar type of year. I just need to find out if there are any changes I need to make to ensure continued health through it and possible many years more.

Besides, we need to find a good local doctor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment