Demo Site

Monday, May 1, 2017

Another full weekend


Mama and I had quite weekend. Since I got back from my traveling after 7 pm on Thursday I got to take off the afternoon to balance out the hours for work. I took the time to make some wood tops for a couple of the feed barrels that had no lids. The wood was salvaged from Victoria’s house – now the Burns’ house. While I was working on that I heard a horn blow in our driveway. When I went to investigate, there was a man waiting by his pickup. He saw the “Beware of Dogs” sign we have never taken down and took it to heart. He was a salesman from a paving company looking for a place to use some extra blacktop left over from a nearby job. I have been approached before with the same offer but I let him talk. After a lot of discussion, he got down to a price I could live with – one Mama and I could afford – but I would not commit without talking it over with Mama. Well, she pulled into the drive at that moment. After we talked a bit we decided to let him do the work. So, within a few hours, we had a new blacktop drive. It loops all the way around the circle and connects with the concrete of the drive at the garage. There was a plan to do the carport/shop but there was not enough material to complete that after some of the low spots in the circular drive had been filled and leveled.  I am not sure if concrete may actually be a better choice in the long run, but the price quoted to me was hard to pass up at that moment. For now, the site is prepared for either, which is a nice change from the clutter that had been there.

Saturday I spent a lot of time getting the well house cleaned out. By the time I had worked there for a couple of hours I had a huge load of trash to go to the dump. I did find a couple of the things Mama had been looking for. She was relieved to have them back. On the other side, we had to throw away a lot of items that the rats and mice had nested in and soiled beyond recovery. None of the items was a great loss; which leads me to question why we had been storing them in the first place. Now, everything in the well house is packed in totes which seems to deter the rodents from setting up homes in them. There is still a good bit of clean up and rearranging to be done – as seems to be the case with everything I start on – but I am pleased with the results for now.

Later that afternoon, I took the mower that Mike brought us and chewed up the leaves that we have piles up in several places; most importantly in the garden. It worked well enough to get that done but I will have to do some repairs to it to get it to work well enough that Mama can use it. I never did get the bagger portion to work properly and at one point I hit something that blew the cover off of the side where you would normally make the change from mulching to bagging. So everything blew out the side discharge and covered me thoroughly. Needless to say, I did not get everything done with that that I had planned to do, but I could only take so much of the dirt and dust covering me.

Even though we had been under the threat of severe storms all weekend I took time to water the plants and the garden before I went to prayer meeting with the men of the church. Everything needed a good dousing and it did not look like the stormy skies would give us any rain so I took the chance of overwatering as opposed not giving our plants any water at all. It turned out to be a good decision. Even with 80-90% chances of rain predicted, we go nothing here.

All in all, it was a good weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment