Demo Site

Monday, May 15, 2017

Medical visits, moving


I had not intended to spend half the day at the doctor’s office Friday but that is the way it turned out. I did request that Mama schedule an appointment with a medical doctor so we could try to pin down the issues I am having with my back as well as the dizziness I am battling. That appointment took until almost 2 pm. I did not know that she had also scheduled me a chiropractor visit for 2 pm until we were having lunch. That additional visit took until a little after 4 pm. Both doctors agreed that I am in pretty bad shape. The dizziness and the difficulty I am having breathing are still in question because my aching back stole the show. I will have to get those questions answered at some later time.

During the medial visit the doctor did an EKG which showed the same anomalies that have always been there – no surprises. It was during the time we talked that I told her that I have had to make a conscious effort to lift my feet up lately, especially when walking on uneven surfaces – like our back yard. That one issue finally prompted me to seek help. That sent off the alarms in her head which told her that the nerve impingement from the herniated disk has gone on long enough to begin causing the muscles in my lower right leg to be affected. I thought I was just not paying enough attention. But, I must admit that it did hurt every time I stumbled. Anyway, she wrote out several prescriptions and ordered some blood work – which I will get done today – from which she will determine a more defined diagnosis. I should be scheduled for an MRI this week to see the extent of the herniation but both doctors feel that I have let this go on too long. Perhaps they are right, but it is only at this point that Mama and I have the insurance needed to afford the medical treatments that may be required.

At the chiropractor’s office, we spent a good deal of time talking about the other doctor’s visit and when I related the foot drop issue the chiropractor had me sit on the edge of the table and raise each leg as high as possible. The left leg was not a problem to elevate. The right leg did not do so well. I was only able to lift it a little before the pain was too intense. He elected to do a cold therapy on me – which was quite painful for a few minutes it took my body to adjust to the cold pack placed on my bare skin. He did not adjust me because he does not know the extent of the damage to the offended disk in my back. I thought that a wise decision. So, this week, hopefully, both doctors will get a look at my spine via the MRI and see what the damage is. For my part, I do not expect it to be too bad. In other words, I would be very surprised if surgery is required. Since the chiropractor has a spinal decompression apparatus, I believe that is the route we will go. More updates soon.

Maggie, Aaron, Cathryn and Walter will begin the long southern migration to the lower 48 early tomorrow morning. Really it will be tonight at 1 a.m. which really is tomorrow technically but it will not seem like it to the weary travelers as they board the ferry to come south along the inland passage. Not only do they have a four-day ferry ride but they have to drive across the continental US from Seattle, Washington to the eastern side of the Carolina’s to take up residence in Wilmington. It will be a long process for the family so say a prayer for them for safety and strength – and finances to meet the needs at hand.

I will be in the office all week this week. The traveling starts again next week.


0 comments:

Post a Comment