Demo Site

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Rain and a mess, pigs, rabbits and goats, family


We got rain last night for the first time in about three weeks and it made a mess in the back of the shop. I knew I would have to deal with the roof not overlapping the wall at the back of the shop, but I have put it off because I was toying with different ideas for adding a small room to the back of the shop to house the gas cans and all the implements that use gas; the mover, the chainsaw, the blower, the weed eater, etc. Well, now I am going to have to deal with it. The roof panels rest on top of the back crossbeam of the shop without extending past the support beam on which they rest. When I added my wall panels to the shop, there was no overlap of the roof over the exterior walls so the rain water runs inside the raised portions of the wall panels and into the shop. I have the metal laying at the back of the shop to remedy the situation, but I have not taken the time to install it. Now, I realize I should have put up the drip edge and, if needed, remove it later as I build the flammables room. Oh, well. I will let it dry out and then clean it up after I get the pieces installed to eliminate the issue.

Bro. Schnell from BBTI came by with some help yesterday evening to load the pot belly pigs for use in one of the yearly events called Jungle Camp. During the week of Jungle Camp, the students camp out on the BBTI property and live as though they were actually in the jungle. No running water; cooking over an open fire, no provision from BBTI of camping equipment – they fend for themselves. Unfortunately for the pigs, they will provide the main fare of the meals for the week as they rough it. It was a sad thought for Mama but I am relieved the pigs will be put to good use versus us dreading the possibility of more unwanted litters. Mama would not allow me to have the pigs processed for our use so this was a good compromise – at least in my mind.

Interestingly enough, Molly and Tilly chose yesterday to get out of their enclosure and roam the farm. Fortunately, they were close enough that Mama was able to call them back with an offering of stale doughnuts. Rather than try to get them back into their sty, we walked them into a corner behind the chicken yard and used a hog panel to trap them while Bro. Schnell backed the trailer into position to open a passage for them to walk onto the trailer. When we tried to catch the little female piglet, things did not work out so well. She got out of their little yard by jumping up into an opening in the hog panel that she was able to wiggle through and ran off at lightning speed. We will have to retrieve her later (when she comes home) and deliver her to BBTI. When the Wycoff’s take the remaining two male piglets, we will be pig-less at the farm; for the first time in about four years.

I will be processing one of the two female rabbits some time very soon. She has gotten very aggressive. She will attack your hand every time you reach into the cage. Mama has a couple scratches to verify the behavior, so it’s time to eat her. Also, our two young Billy goats need to either be sold or taken to the meat market. At least we know we like goat meat. That is another idea that is hard for both mama and Victoria; eating animals you have raised and named. They are two very finely build male goats but there is no market for them other than for meat. Before they turn a year old, I will make the call if they are still on the farm with us.

Nate, Cori and the kids have thoroughly enjoyed their time with Brittany. They will be headed back to the farm today. So much for quiet, boring, uneventful evenings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment