Demo Site

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Guided tour, Grandma approved, partings


When I got home yesterday everyone was in rest mode, but it did not take long for that to change. Since Joshua had taken kitchen duty, I changed and got ready to do the evening feeding. Alicia and the boys went out with me. Alicia wore a pair of Mama’s crocks – which were way too big for her – and each of the boys managed to find a pair of boots that fit. It was immediately obvious that they were not in any way used to a farm setting. When I led them into the upper goat enclosure where we keep the bucklings, they were very hesitant to enter. “Can we just go in there?” was the question. “It’s okay”, I assured them, “Goats have tiny mouths so when they bite you it does not leave a big mark.” Just kidding. I let them know the goats would not hurt them other than to get so much underfoot that they trip you as you try to walk.

Although the bucklings are used to us, they did not respond the same way with visitors, so I held Patrick in place, so Alicia and the boys could pet him. The boys were reluctant to do even that. They were a little more familiar with the chickens but not much more so. They would not enter to coop yard without serious encouragement from their Mama. It took me a bit to get the watering and feeding in those two areas done. By the time I had collected the eggs, they were starting to loosen up. With the female goats, we have several that are quite friendly – especially Aspen. The sister to the two bucklings. It did not take long for the boys to become comfortable handling her. I was finished a long time before they were. I am not sure how much of all that they will remember, but it was good first exposure. They were noticeably relieved to get back inside. I was too, but for a completely different reason.

It was 107° outside. Uncomfortable weather. Almost dead calm. Which made the fierce wind I had been battered by on the way home all the more perplexing. It did not last long. Only a second or two but the perpendicular blast rocked the truck violently as I passed through it. The gravel hauler passing me in the opposite direction a few seconds later must have been shocked by the force because I saw the truck suddenly swerve and then correct its direction. Some type of a downburst I guess. I have not experienced one of those since we moved out of Bowie.

Joshua and his crew went to church with me and Mama last night. Grandma met us there. Going to church with Grandma can be interesting. If she approves of the message, she preaches along her agreement. If she does not agree, she preached along her disagreement. Either way, it is a clear and ever present distraction to Mama – and those near us in the congregation. Last night the distraction included Ethan Burns, who was sitting directly in front of Grandma. She felt compelled to whisper her acknowledgement of every agreeable point into his ear. Or poke him and tell him to listen up to the truth. Poor Ethan spent the entire service with a red face. For my part, I am glad it was a “grandma approved” message because the content of the sermon was not something I thought she would agree with; centered on the importance of church attendance and sitting under good preaching, accountability to our local New Testament Church and the family we have there. Grandma asked for a copy of the recorded sermon, but it may be next week before I will be able to deliver it to her. She wanted to take it home right them and share (confront is the operative idea) it with Grandpa. Joshua and Alicia helped Grandma to her car – a lengthy process involving slow forward progress accompanied with seemingly inexhaustible chatter. They met us a little later out back of the church but by the time they had walked through the church Grandma had driven around back and parked beside us. She held us in conversation for ten minutes longer. Grandma thoroughly enjoyed the evening. So did Joshua and Alicia.

Brittany and the girls will leave tonight at the girl’s bedtime. They will spend the night with Andrew and all drive home Friday afternoon. It will be sad to see them go. We have thoroughly enjoyed our time with the twins – and Brittany.

0 comments:

Post a Comment