Demo Site

Friday, July 27, 2018

Moving all of us, packing, perception


I failed to mention in my blog yesterday that before Danial began his sermon/lesson Wednesday night he had all the people in the front of the church move to the back of the church. His reason for doing so was because he wanted to condense the crowd. It makes broadcasting a message and making eye contact easier when the crowd is more condensed; much more so after the move than when we started out. It brings the speaker closer to the hearers. It changed the atmosphere of the service in a good way. The reason he asked the folks in the front to move to the back is that it is nearly impossible to get those who always sit in the back to move to the front. Bro. Danial moved to the back of the auditorium also, using a music stand for his pulpit, and moving about as he preached. It was a great service. He also issued a challenge toward the end of his message. Why is it that when the Pastor opens for service for testimonies, it takes so long for someone to stand? And why do the same people take the opportunity almost every time while others rarely if ever do? Do we not all have something to praise the Lord for? Something recent? It was a perfect challenge based on the sermon dealing with the names of God – and His continual blessings on us.

Mama and Victoria are packing the Sequoia this morning. I drove Victoria’s car to work because I took the truck to Trace last night. His van is still in the shop getting the transmission replaced and will not be ready until sometime late next week. After all the effort he went through last weekend getting tires replaced on the truck, I thought it only right to let him enjoy the rewards of that labor while Mama, Victoria and I are with Andrew and Brittany. I am working only a half day today, so we will hopefully leave about 1 pm. Another six-hour drive each way. Fortunately, Mama and I love to travel.

Mama reminded me yesterday that Andrew’s mother and brother will be at Brittany’s also. I had forgotten for some reason. This is, in Korean terms, one of the most important birthdays in the life of their children. A tradition stemming from the time when many children did not make it to their first birthday. It will be fun to see them again. Andrew’s mother, who has been in the United States for more than thirty years does not speak much English at all. I am not entirely sure how that is possible other than the fact that she just never had the desire to learn. She is a very quiet person, so I suppose she has not felt the need to interact outside of the group who shares her language. I cannot imagine a life like that, but she seems content. I worry for my trees during our absence. It will be Sunday night – probably late – when they will be watered again. But they can be replaced if necessary.

I was listening to a podcast called EconTalk yesterday and the guest, Teppo Felin, was talking about perception. It was a fascinating discussion. I spend a good deal of time in one course I teach talking about our ability to be so focused that we lose sight of many things around us. Often missing very important things. A focus leading to a blindness. Teppo Felin quoted someone, I did not catch a name, but I caught the thought.  On perception: The universe is full of dots. Connect the right ones and you can draw anything. The important question in not whether the dots you chose are really there, but why you chose to ignore all the other dots.

Why do we see what we do see and not see what we do not see? The host and guest referenced a short video I have seen multiple times where we the observers are asked to count the number of times a team of players passes the basketball within their group. There are two groups doing the same activity, so you have to focus. Meanwhile, a person dressed in a gorilla suit walks into the group, dances around a bit and then walks off camera. Ninety percent of those watching, counting the passes, do not see the gorilla. I have been in a room where the video was played and explained and when the video was replayed, and the gorilla was seen, many in the room swore that they were watching a different video. After all, how could they have missed something so obvious?

My caution, especially to myself, stop, look, listen. Be in the moment. You will enjoy the journey that much more if you are not fixated on singular issues; most of which would have sorted themselves out without your expenditure of emotional energy. So, this weekend, it is all about Zoe and Sophia. And by extension, their parents (our children).

I promise I will try to focus more broadly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment