Demo Site

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Grandpa


The final test that was keeping Grandpa in the hospital was almost abandoned when he was unable to keep down the vile chemical drinks required to empty the gut for a colonoscopy. The only thing that allowed the doctors to go through with the test was that Grandpa had only one meal – Saturday night – in the past four days. The assumption was that his bowel would be empty enough for a successful colonoscopy. When the test was complete, the doctors reported that his colon was clear – which was good – but they discovered a large hiatal hernia during the exam. That is where a portion of the stomach pushes up or bulges through the diaphragm. It can be painful. It can be dangerous because of the potential for inflammation and infection, but the doctors told Grandpa that it can be treated with medications. So, going forward, Grandpa will have to see the hematologist, the cardiologist and his general care doctor over the coming weeks. The blockage in the spleen is still an issue. It simply cannot be dealt with effectively at this time. Hopefully, the delay will not cause issues for Grandpa in the very near future.

I met my boss at the office very early this morning. I needed to talk with her, so it was a good thing she was there – that is not usually the case. We talked briefly about the class I am scheduled to teach tomorrow. I am worried that I will not have enough voice for that class and the class the following day. The class tomorrow is a class of twenty-six attendees. To project enough to get my voice to those in the back of the large room is an effort on a good day. With the problems I am having right now, it would be very difficult without a lot of coughing during that effort. It would cost me my voice for the rest of the week. We decided that we would get a substitute for tomorrow and I would save my voice for the class on Thursday. I plan to struggle through the class regardless of the cost to my voice. Additionally, she told me to work from home today. I thought that was a good suggestion. I knew that I would have the house to myself for the day so working from home was in fact possible. I was home before Grandma and Mama left for the hospital.

Grandma and Mama had to head to the hospital early this morning. The nurses had told Mama that the infectious disease doctor, the last doctor attending to Grandpa, wanted to consult with all of them together at 9 this morning. I do not know if they made the meeting on time. Mama was still getting ready at 8 am. Grandma was getting antsy, but I am pretty sure the 9 am time was a reference point rather than a definite meeting time. We will see. The hope is that Grandpa will get to come home today. What time he will be released remains to be seen, but Grandma is getting to the point that she cannot endure a full day waiting in the hospital. Mama may have to take her home and go back for Grandpa when a release time is finally set. The round trip is a little over two hours. That is a lot of running but is what may be required. Mama is still holding up well, but she is getting tired. She is worried about falling behind on things she normally gets done at home. Things that have gone unattended in the days she has spent at the hospital. On the bright side, Grandma and Grandpa have been largely independent over the past few years. That may change soon, but for now, as ling as Grandpa is able to drive, they will maintain that independence. We do not mind the brief sacrifices

I will be in class tomorrow and Thursday. By Friday, I will be ready for a day at the office.

0 comments:

Post a Comment