Demo Site

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Sheep to sale, cows to sale, the life of a farmer


Mama and I had a very busy weekend. I was not feeling well Friday evening and things got worse through the day Saturday. By Saturday night I was coughing to the point of throwing up. I did not get to go to church Sunday, and I missed work yesterday. Today I am only slightly better, but I came to work anyway.

Friday evening, once Victoria got home, we caught the ewes we were taking to the stock sale in Bowie. I took a few minutes Thursday evening and got the racks put back on the truck for the purpose of having things ready for Friday evening. We had little problem getting the big ewes into the truck where they spent the night. It was impressive to me just how filthy they got the bed of the truck in just a few hours. I was the first to arrive at the stock barn in Bowie Saturday morning. I got to spend a few minutes talking with a young man named Cody as we waited for the owners to open the gates. Cody had a very pronounced lisp, but he did not let that stop him from engaging in conversation. It was an enjoyable visit for both of us. Once the sheep jumped out of the back of the truck, I was on my way back home. With a quick stop in Chico for kolaches.

Zoe and Sophia were still in their high chairs eating breakfast when I got to the farm – and they were happy to see the sausage kolaches, even though they had already eaten eggs, bacon and pancakes. We finished a leisurely breakfast and started getting the car packed for Brittany and Andrew to take the girls and head home. It was sad to see them go. Mama and Victoria thoroughly enjoyed the week with the girls. I think the girls enjoyed the week as well. Now, when Brittany calls, the girls ask for Grammy rather than for Papa and Victoria. We might get them again in a couple weeks if Brittany gets to go to Washington State with Andrew for a special training he is taking there. Either that or Brittany and the girls will travel to Chappell Hill with us when we go down for a family reunion on May 11th. We will see which one of those possibilities work out. I know my sister Martha would love to see the twins. She and my niece Trisha have stayed in constant touch with Brittany since the twins were born.  

I did not get much done Saturday. Thankfully, I had taken a half day vacation Friday. I had gotten a lot done in those extra four hours on the farm, so Saturday did not seem like a total loss. I did take the racks off the truck after Andrew and Brittany headed home. It took a good deal of water to wash out the bed of the truck once I raked out the very soiled hay Mama and I had put there for bedding. I did not have a very strong stream of water to get the ground in manure lifted from the bed but the next couple days of rain should help with that. Once I got a couple odds and ends done that morning, I reclined in my chair and the sudden onset of symptoms kept me there for the remainder of the day and all that night. I did not go to church Sunday or to work on Monday. For me it was a non-productive weekend…but that does not mean nothing got done.

Wayne called Sunday afternoon to let Mama know he had gotten our two crazy cows loaded in his trailer. He offered Mama the option of taking them to our corral or hauling the two of them to the stock sale. Mama wisely elected to have him take them to the sale. We do not need to be dealing with wild cows. So, the sheep are gone and there is starting to be peace in the sheep cote. The cows are gone and we are still at peace with our neighbor. We were not necessarily planning on either of those sales two weeks ago, but that is how it worked out. Honestly, Mama and I can use the money for feed and hay. So, there will no significant loss on our part. We will take a bit of a loss in value for the heifers, but in the long run, I believe it was for the best to let them go at a loss. Same with the ewes. The cost of feed to hold the ewes over to breed and then lamb or the cows to have calves would be far more money than we will lose in selling them right now. The life of a farmer. On the bright side, I will now have money to buy materials to finish the second paddock and the shelter in that paddock.

Mama will wean our bottle babies this week. As much fun as it is to feed them their bottles it is time for them to be weaned. That will ease the work and time involved in our twice daily feeding schedule. Next week, the goats will go to Rick’s to be bred. Hoping for October babies. By that time, we will have replaced our cattle – hopefully with Highland cattle.

Once again, the life of a farmer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment