Demo Site

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Class, Maggie, Cori, Victoria


I taught a class yesterday. For the second time a coworker and I taught concurrent classes and for the second time we were within a few minutes of each other at lunch and at the close of the class. His class finished up the test about ten minutes after my students finished. We always get a kick out of those outcomes. It helps to represent the company and the class in a good light. Today will be spent entering the grades and capturing the evaluation information. For the most part I enjoy teaching the class. There are some fundamental changes I would like to make, but overall, it is a good class with a lot of helpful information. People tend to enjoy it. That’s a plus. It is however, draining to stand and talk for six hours of an eight-hour class. I was tired and my voice was worn out by the time we concluded the class. I need to strengthen both body and voice so that I am not so exhausted after each class. With the progress on our houses going so slowly, I may be at this a few more months.

While I was in class yesterday, Maggie called. I could not answer for obvious reasons. She called again once I was home, but I was napping. I did not intend to sleep as long as I did. I woke up in time to hurry to get ready for church. So, Maggie and I did not connect until after church, but Mama let me know the nature of the reason she was calling. Maggie got saved. Mrs. Fisher, used by the Lord, got through to Maggie and helped her to realize that all was not well between her and the Lord. She had been running from the conviction she felt for quite some time. After some struggle, some argument and some candid conversation, Maggie had to admit she was running from God. To say that out loud is conviction in itself. To admit that to another person in pride-shattering. What we had thought she had done as a child, had not happened. Late in the night she took the time to call upon the Lord and He was waiting, wanting to save her. What a great God we serve! The next morning, even her children noticed the difference.

She let her pastor know right away. He was thrilled. He had been praying for Maggie since she started coming to church. In light of what happened, her pastor called on her to role play with him through the Wednesday night service as he demonstrated for the congregation how to lead someone to the Lord. He took her through the questions that typically lead to the sharing of the Plan of Salvation, shared the Roman’s Road scriptures, prayed the prayer with her for the sake of role play and then gave her all the time she needed to share her testimony – and the events that led up to her accepting the Lord. We were in tears as she shared the event with us.  As was the congregation and the pastor at Maggie’s church as she shared her brand-new testimony for the very first time. In a time when Mama and I are going through some very difficult and disappointing circumstances, Maggie’s salvation was very good news. “There is rejoicing in Heaven over one sinner that repenteth.” Heaven is rejoicing. So should we.

While we are rejoicing with Maggie, we are praying for Cori who is struggling with adapting to the climate in Honduras. Cori has always suffered from asthma. It has been mild in the past, but the tropical climate is exacerbating the condition. I am sure there are ways to deal with it, but Cori and Nate have not settled the manner in which they want to correct or mitigate the condition. That is what we are praying about. How do we, within their current setting find the most practical long-term solution? It will be made clear to us at some point, but we have not gotten there yet. Mama and I are planning on going to Honduras in September, but that is still in the “hope we can” stages of planning. At that time, as we stay with Cori, Nate and the kids, I will be able to see if anything jumps out at me that will help provide a solution. At the very least, we will see Cori next month when she comes up for Joshua and Alicia’s wedding. When that happens, I will get a much better idea of how to pray.

Victoria has been getting out more lately. Most of her time is spent with a group young people from the church. That is good in and of itself. The fact that she is willing to meet them for volleyball and other gatherings is a good sign to Mama and me. She is much happier when she socializes with her peers. Even though she and Brittany Wycoff are slightly older than most of the members in their little group, the group is friendly and accommodation. Entertaining. Victoria feels like she adds to the whole. She is included. The opportunity has been there for some time, but she is now taking advantage of it.

Mama and I are pleased about that change.

0 comments:

Post a Comment