Demo Site

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Class, play day, trust, generosity


Class yesterday went very well. It was one of those classes when almost everyone participates in the discussions. We discussed some proposed regulatory changes that will directly impact the contract companies I had in attendance. They were thankful for the heads-up on what may potentially shift how they qualify their personnel because of how the companies they do contract work for will be forced to comply with the new regulations. Things are about to get more difficult for all of us. We spent more time in discussions than normal but that is always the best part of the class. For me and for the participants. I was tired when I got home but I muddled through the chores, through the feeding, through collecting eggs. I showered and got ready for church without much time to eat or rest. Class days are always late days. By the time we go home from church, I was totally worn out.

We have a sort of play day at work today. Once per quarter we have a Team Building event. It can be anything from a presentation from a guest speaker to a scavenger hunt. Everyone in the company that is available to attend is expected to be at the office for the event. About one third of our employees work remotely, so it is a chance to get together with those we do not see very often. It is always a pleasant distraction, but it does interrupt the normal flow of work in the office. I will struggle to meet the expectations of those who attend class yesterday in getting all their information entered into our system by the time some of them need it next week. We will make it work, but the timing will be close for some.

Maggie called me yesterday to let me know she and Aaron had come to a decision. They have agreed to let Mama bring Cathryn and Walter home with her when Mama leaves Monday morning. It is a good decision. One Mama and I planned for – which made it a more logistically possible. Mama is staying over in Wilmington through the weekend so she can be there for Maggie’s baptism on Sunday. Mama will have to make the trip home with the two grandkids, but I think she can manage. It will take longer. Perhaps two nights in hotels and a lot more meal expense but it can be done. Sadly, if Mama drives all the way to Tuscaloosa, AL Monday, I will be less than 200 miles from her. I have a class to teach in Andalusia, AL on Tuesday next week. I have puzzled through meeting her and helping her drive the rest of the way home.

Letting the kids come home with Mama takes a good bit of trust on Maggie and Aaron’s part. We appreciate that trust and will do everything in our power to honor and protect it. Meanwhile, Maggie and Aaron will be free to begin the process of discovery required to begin a healing and restoration process that will move them slowly past the issues they now deal with. Common though those issues are, each couple has to discover how to apply the remedies to their relationship. Maggie will fly into DFW a day before Jake flies into Love Field. The next day (July 11) we will travel to Victoria for Joshua’s Wedding. It should be fun.

Aaron’s parents were very generous to me and Mama. They had told us last week that they wanted to send us some money to help with the finances required to make this trip. To get the kids and bring them home with us for a while. To give Maggie and Aaron some space. And they did in an overly generous way. What they have given us will help in a big way. Especially as Mama comes home. As things stand now, Mama is going to meet me in Pensacola as I finish up a class next Tuesday in Andalusia. She will travel to Jacksonville, FL and spend the night, Monday night. The next morning, she will drive to Pensacola or Navarre. Wherever I reserve a room for us. It will be a long drive home (about twelve hours) but it is one we have done before. And we will be able to do it together.

Brittany’s is today. Don’t ask me how old she is. That is Mama information. I do well to get the dates right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment