Demo Site

Thursday, November 21, 2019

Catching kids, Lilly’s three, news from Lawton, lunch at work


By the time I got home yesterday at lunchtime, all the kids had been caught and were waiting transport to the vet. Yay! The Thomason boys were more than happy to recount the adventures of capturing the little ones. it appears that all went smoothly. Much as Mama had expected. We sat around and visited as I ate lunch in the abbreviated time I had left – considering the drive to the farm and the return trip to work. Mama was leaving for the vet at the same time I left for work; or so I thought. Obviously, she had not left the farm yet because she called me just as I got to work to tell me Lilly was having her babies. One kid had been delivered and the second was on the way. As she was getting in the truck to leave, she heard the cries of distress as Lilly was having her second kid.

Mama was concerned that there was a problem with the birthing. She found Lilly on the ground with the birth sac protruding from her backside. It looked awful to her. Like something was wrong. She was asking me to come home and intervene. With that in focus I headed to the truck and started home until Mama called me a second time to tell me that the second delivery was successful. She was headed to the vet and Krystal and the boys were headed back to the farm to monitor the birth of the third little one. They arrived in plenty of time to watch the birth. The boys were thoroughly disgusted by the birthing. Especially when Lilly began licking up the fluids that came out with the third kid. A memory they will not soon forget. But, in the end, all three (two males and one female) were born healthy and active…just before the rain started.

As Mama and I left for church rain began to fall and Lilly and her triplets were still outside the barn. Mama wanted to get redressed in her farm clothes and try to herd the family into the barn, but I discouraged her from doing so. My reasoning was that it was warm enough that the rain would not bother the new arrivals. It would work to help clean the babies off. Lilly clearly knows where the barn is and if she was not willing to get under the roof provided for her, there may be a good reason for her not doing so. At least not at that moment. We agreed that we would go out to check as soon as we got home from church. Which we did. By that time, Lilly and her three were safely camped out in a dry spot inside the barn. Mama slept better knowing they were safe – and dry.

Just before we left for church, our realtor sent us some pictures of the new fence that was just installed at one of our houses in Lawton. Progress. It was encouraging to see. I still do not know what is happening with the interior remodel, but we assume the works is continuing since the majority of the materials have been bought and delivered. I am tempted to go up this week, but it would have to be tomorrow night. That is the only night I have available, other than next Monday night, for the next couple weeks. Saturday, we go to Seth’s for dinner. Tuesday, we have our church dinner. Wednesday, Joshua and Brittany and their families are coming to the farm in preparation for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving takes up the following four days. The Monday following Thanksgiving, I leave for Minnesota and Colorado to teach classes. I will be gone all week. The week of the 16th of December, I will be gone most of the week as well. Christmas is the week following that absence. Not much spare time to do an inspection. Mama and I trust the Lord to work on our behalf through Glenn and his crews. Praise the Lord!

Today we will have a potluck lunch at the office. Our annual Thanksgiving lunch. It is always a big deal. today will be no exception.

0 comments:

Post a Comment