Demo Site

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Smoking with the Pastor, smelly dogs, work repairs, cold next week




After feeding and taking care of a couple little things at the farm, I drove over to our pastor’s house to visit with him while he started smoking briskets for the church dinner we are having this evening. He had just started the briskets (six in total), but he had put on chicken legs as he was getting the smoker up to temperature. Those were about done when I arrived. It was a pleasant evening. A little chilly, but a fire in a small fire pit adjacent to the smoker took the chill off. Only one other man came – though the invitation was extended to everyone. We had a slow, relaxing time chatting about whatever subject came up. It is always relaxing to sit around a fire and just visit. I stayed from about 6 pm to a little after 8 pm. I am glad I went. It is the first time I have done so. Pastor was required to stay up most of the night to get the briskets done. Constantly monitoring the smoker temperature, adding wood to the firebox as needed. I enjoyed my short time there, but I am afraid I slept through the rest. Every year at our Thanksgiving dinner we enjoy the briskets and turkeys that come off the smoker. This year will be no exception.


When I got home, Kobe had been bathed and was sequestered in the sunroom. As I walked into the house the skunk smell was still pretty powerful. Mama and Victoria did not smell it so strongly as I did, but it was certainly unmistakable. When I went through the sunroom to go out and close up the chickens, the smell stung my nose. With sensitive visitors coming for dinner – Grandma in particular and possibly Brittany – we are going to have to be much more aggressive in getting rid of that smell. I have never been bothered by skunk odors, but I understand there are some who are profoundly affected by it. It certainly does not mix well with all the food we will be preparing for our dinner. What to do is the issue. I suggested putting the dogs in the wellhouse, but Mama considers that a form of imprisonment. Severe punishment. Unnecessary isolation. (Sadly, I just see them as dogs.) But the way Kobe smells we cannot keep her in the sunroom during the preparation or the meal. Keeping her in Victoria’s room is out of the question unless we light enough candles to cause our house to glow. It will be raining large portions of the time we have guests so the dogs cannot be put outside. I have not been made privy to the decisions yet, but I am sure we will find a solution acceptable to everyone – at least, minimally acceptable.  

I will spend part of the day repairing tables at the office. They are the Formica covered tables with the legs that collapse under the table to be stored. The Formica has come loose on some of those tables and it is a bit embarrassing to have clients take our eight-hour classes sitting at a table with a bubbled top. I have been commissioned to repair those tops. A simple procedure but the glue required has an overpowering odor. The warning on the can states, “Use only in a well-ventilated area.” That is not a warning to be ignored. We will have to warn everyone in the building before I start and then pray that the smell dissipates quickly. There are two pregnant ladies at the office. I am sure they will smell the glue regardless of how far their offices are from the origin of the smell.

A look ahead. Dinner at the church tonight. Dinner at the farm Thursday. Endure the food induced come Friday and Saturday. Church and rest Sunday. Travel Monday. I wish I could say I had a well thought out plan, but we will simply take things as they come until I start my week of travel Monday. I will be home Friday afternoon. This trip will not be the last one for the year. I will be traveling the week before Christmas as well. Although, that trip will be to Alabama. Not nearly as cold as the trip Monday. The forecast for St. Paul, MN is for temperatures to be in the teens overnight. Mid-twenties during the day. I do not do well in the cold anymore. At least, my bronchials do not do well in the cold. The day after I get home from Denver, CO – the second leg of my travel next week – we will have our dress rehearsal for the Christmas Cantata.

Hopefully my voice will hold up through the cantata on the 8th.

0 comments:

Post a Comment