Demo Site

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Mama’s big buy, doctoring goats, Audrey, the test run


Mama drove to Sam’s early yesterday to buy the 8-quart Emeril Lagasse Pressure Cooker Air Fryer. They had the appliance on sale for a price that beat anything we had seen either online or in stores. I got to see the unit briefly when I got home.
It is a big appliance. Wider and taller than any of the current pressure cookers (three in total) we currently house. I think we could have gone with the 6-quart unit, but for the money, this was a better buy. Even if we do not use it to full capacity very often, it will certainly get used. And I will get to clear out several smaller single-purpose countertop appliances cluttering up the chef’s pantry. Two pressure cookers, one rice cooker, and one crock pot will quickly find new homes. I did not get to look the Emeril unit over closely until later yesterday evening because we had to get the little bucks doctored before it got too dark to do so.

Yesterday afternoon was cold and a but windy, but it was dry. Fair conditions to doctor our tiny bucks. Mama was given specific instructions to change the bandages on the heads of our bucks after three days. Because of the rain we waited an extra day before doing so. I started with the black and white buck – Caesar, I think. I had a special pair of scissors to cut the tape binding the dressing to the head of each buck but that did not lessen the fact that the tape would pull the hair of the buckling as I unwrapped it from their heads. They were not pleased with the hair-pulling torture and on the first buckling removing the tape also tore loose the bandaging – and the scabs at the surgery site along with it. I felt horrible. Mama gagged. The buckling cried out in pain. It was an awful moment. But while Mama went to get some ointment to put on the open wound, I cut the bandages to allow a small piece to lay against the scalp wounds so that the next time we removed the dressing, it would not come loose with the bandaging…hopefully. I was shocked that the vet had not done so as well, but everything worked out well enough. With the second buckling, Julian, removing the dressing did not tear open the wound. Much easier on Mama – and the buckling.

Brittany Facetimed Mama soon after we had eaten dinner. Mama made soup with some of the leftovers we had on hand. It was very good. The girls were excited to talk to Grammy and since I happened to be home, they talked to me as well. I am constantly thankful that I chose the grandparent name I did. It is so much fun for the grandkids to say. Brittany told us the twins are very interested in their little sister, who we will meet in early February. For now, the girls are content to feel their sister kick and turn in mommy’s belly. We had chatted couple minutes when Sophia said, “I’m ‘ia.’” Identifying herself to me and Mama. Whether or not she understands the confusion of their identical looks is questionable, but she certainly understands that people have trouble identifying her. She is willing to help. So, Zoe had to tell us who she was as well. So, I asked where Audrey was? Both girls patted Brittany’s belly. Zoe Said, “Open, Open,” and reached for Brittany’s shirt to pull it up. That is their customary routine. When they talk about the baby, they inspect mommy’s belly. Of course, Brittany stopped them since I was on the video call as well, but it was a cute moment. It was getting late when we hung up. Mama and I had to get some things done before bedtime, but we still hated to say goodnight. So, we planned a later call just before the girls were put to bed. They called to say goodnight an hour or so later and the girls got so stirred up that I am sure Brittany had trouble getting them settled down after we hung up.

Later yesterday evening, Mama and I put the new pressure cooker through a trial run. That was recommended by the manufacturer to cleanse the unit from the oils normally applied during assembly and packaging. It performed flawlessly. Mama was excited. I have a feeling she and Victoria will use this unit more than any we have acquired in the past. Time will tell, but Mama was already looking at recipes for both pressure cooking and air frying. I ordered cookbooks for each cooking method to encourage Mama in the use of the dual appliance. We’ll see if that helps or frustrated her. I will certainly use the pressure cooker function, but I will have to experiment with the air fryer.

Mama and Victoria are more excited about that function than I am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment