Demo Site

Monday, July 20, 2020

Last week, another light weekend, Victoria’s charges


Last week, as I worked my way through classes, I did not take the time to write any updates to this blog. It is not because there was nothing noteworthy, just that time was taken by more pressing issues. I had gotten into some dust Monday evening using the trimmer on a fence line and the effects of that dust stayed with me through the remainder of the week. I had to give my Wednesday class to Red so I could be available for the Thursday class. It is a class only a handful of us can teach. Even with the extra time to rest my voice I was struggling by the end of the class. My voice was recovered by Sunday to the point that I could lead the singing, but only because Mama and I both wore masks as we cleaned the coop buildings. That is a proper use of masks. By the time we were done, those masks were soaked with sweat and dirt. It was an awful sight, but the coops are cleaned for the moment and it saved my voice.
The hour plus spent in the morning heat doing the coop cleaning about wore Mama and me out. I seem to be running on empty lately. I used to be able to go strong all morning, rest a bit in the heat of the day and then work strong through the evening. Not now. I am spent after a couple hours of labor. Really spent.  But in the cleaning of the coops I used the shop vac to thoroughly clean the cobwebs from the wire I have protecting the window openings. Over the years those opening have been covered with webs and the dust those spider webs accumulate. It was long past due to get all that off the openings and allow some freer exchange of air through the building. The effect was immediate. Plus, it just looks better. The chickens roosted completely differently that night because of the increased airflow.
After we got that chore done, I rested a bit before going out to check the hives. I was curious to see if the two hives I have not expanded were ready for honey supers. When I opened one of the two, the bees were very docile. Very few flew out of the hive to challenge me. I was able to check the frames and determine that they were still not ready for the honey supers. I sealed that hive up and went to the second. They were not docile. It looked like the entire hive flew immediately to fend me off. The suit I have is amazing protection against such an onslaught. However, the new gloves I had just purchased were not up to the challenge. I was stung on the back of my right hand through the glove almost as soon as the attack began. Maybe five or six stings total.
The stings were not “deep” stings, but I could still feel them. I took my time to look the frames over and determine that they were even further behind than the hive with the docile bees, so no honey super was added to that hive either. Disappointing. Both that the hives were not much further along and that the gloves did not fully protect me. Last night the itching was miserable, but there was no additional infection with the stings. I talked to Mama about giving up the bees, but I am only getting stung on my hands. I will do some research to see if I can remedy that inexpensively. While l had the bee suit on, I took the string trimmer and cut the weeds around the hives. I quickly found out what a great idea that was from the attention I got from all three hives. Everyone participated in that attack, but I did not get stung again. That seems to happen only when I reach into the hives. Other that those few chores, I did not stay out in the heat much. I go to the doctor tomorrow for a follow up. I am curious to see if she has any suspicions about my current lack of energy.
Victoria watched the three boys of her coworker Saturday and Sunday. The three ranging in age from one year to five years old are a handful. I added myself in where I could, but the burden fell largely to Victoria. Saturday evening, Mama and Victoria were worn out. I am not sure how much their mommy pays for a babysitter, but that person earns her wage. All three are good boys. They are just very busy all the time. The one-year-old is a twenty pounder who does not like living at ground level. He is constantly wanting to be held. He would go to any one of us to be picked up, but he preferred Victoria. Fifteen minutes of carting him around was about all any of us could handle. So, he swapped out often.
Sunday, as always was great. Maybe next Sunday we will get to eat at the new restaurant! We’re looking forward to that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment