Demo Site

Friday, July 10, 2020

Stocking up, shopping online, oppressive heat

Mama went to the doctor yesterday morning for a wellness visit and while she was out, she decided to do some shopping. She spent a good bit of time in Walmart getting glared at by those in masks because she did not have one on, but she was not asked to put one on while she was there. She cannot wear one without breathing issues. With my current health conditions, I find it very difficult to breathe through a mask, but that is not my only reason for avoiding their use. We needed a variety of items for the work I have planned this weekend as well as a variety of items to restock our chef’s pantry. Mostly canned goods for the pantry. Paper goods for the household items which are now readily available as those who hoarded those paper goods work through the stock they accumulated in the initial panic were also restocked in Mama’s outing. Fortunately, we do not have to buy much meat. We have plenty of beef and pork in the freezer. Chicken is generally on our shopping list as well as lunch meats. Other than that, we are pretty well set. So, Mama did not have to spend too much money to get the items she felt like we needed, but it was worth the trip.
Since shopping in person is an emotional draining event right now, we have turned to online shopping where practical. People who prefer face diapers are alarmed by those who do not choose to wear them. My questions to those who are offended by my not being masked is, “Isn’t your mask protecting you?” Sadly, the angst is not about being masked. It is about being compliant. Anyway, there is so much available online it is very tempting to avoid the crowds altogether. I just do not prefer shopping online. I like to shop where I can compare items visually. Too many times I have received an online order and been disappointed by the product I bought versus the product I thought I bought. Since I am not one to make the effort to send those items back, I have accumulated quite a few disappointing, less than useful items I have no idea what to do with and no intention of using. So, I tend to buy online only what I am very familiar with. Even that is unproductive at times. Victoria is more ambitious than Mama and I but she has the tenacity to return items she is not satisfied with. Mama makes regular visits to Pac N Mail to send out those returns.
Every evening, I struggle to get up the gumption to go outside. (Spoiled baby that I am.) The animals depend on us making the trip out to feed them and ensure they have sufficient water, but just knowing that in a few minutes outside I will be soaked with sweat makes the evening feeding a chore. Mama and I do it anyway, and more often than not, I just stay outside and find things to work on. Why not? I am already soaked through and there is always something to do. This weekend we are forecast to have temperatures in the triple digits. I am not looking forward to that, but it is not unexpected. I suppose I will need to find things to do inside the house if it gets too oppressive outside. Mama has plenty of inside chores for me. They are usually held for those times when I cannot work outside – when it is too cold, too hot, or too wet. The fact that we are hoping to have a big party this September is putting a little pressure on Mama to make sure I get those chores done soon. This weekend may provide a good opportunity for inside that work.
Mama and I are planning on going to Trade Days Saturday even though it will be very hot. If we go early in the morning, we should be able to look for what we are needing and get out of the heat before it gets too hot. I am always a little bothered when I have to forego outside tasks for whatever reason. I feel like I have wasted the day. Sadly, this may be one of those weekends when I do not get to work outside much. But we will find something for me to do.
Mama will make sure I do not waste the weekend

0 comments:

Post a Comment