Demo Site

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Jake’s call, storage issues, Grandpa shopping, praying friends

As Mama and I were waiting on the cornbread muffins to finish baking, Jake tried to ring through on Skype. Neither Mama nor I wanted to answer at that particular moment because we were in a discussion about taxes and our finances. Later that evening, Jake called and told Mama that he only had a few minutes before bedtime and he wanted to talk to her, so we went to the computer.


When the call was accepted and Mama saw his smile she hollered, “Jake, you lost your teeth!” Indeed he had, both front teeth were missing. He was delighted that she had noticed. Melissa, his mother, was close by so Mama drew her into the conversation and they began talking about flights and school ending dates and how to get Jake to Texas and back. It sounded pretty expensive to me – especially coming off of the discussion Mama and I had just been having.

As far as I was able to follow, it involved getting Mama up to New Jersey, getting her, Jake and Chase back to Amarillo, then getting Jake to Pace, Florida to meet his mommy when she came down to Brittany’s wedding. Only Mama and Melissa could come up with a plan like that.

In preparation for our trip over to the farm, Mama has bought several racks of bread from the bread store near our house. It will be fed to the hogs. At first they did not like the bread, but Victoria thinks they have developed a taste for it now. It was being stored in bags in our attached garage until Mama discovered that a mouse has been helping himself to the supply. I suppose it is to be expected with the house ours is positioned next to. Our neighbor is a hoarder and most of the roaches and mice that infiltrate our house come form the nesting grounds next door.

I told Mama that as I sat reading my Bible on Tuesday morning I thought I saw a mouse run across the floor. It was in my peripheral vision and I do not trust that area of my vision due to the macular degeneration I am experiencing. So, maybe I did actually see it. We are on the hunt now. Traps are going to be set out and bait is going to be hidden in convenient places to try and thwart a full scale invasion. You know how Mama loves mice, or meeces, as Grandpa calls them.

Grandpa has been out every day tracking down leads on equipment. He found a decent trailer right away but put off buying it to have more time to see what else was available. He feels that if he were to buy that particular trailer, even though it is smaller than he wants, he could bring it back here and make more than $1000 in reselling it after he transports all he is able to load on it for the return trip. I trust his judgment, but the idea of buying and reselling has never been appealing to me. That is more bred into Grandpa and Norman than into me.

Still, whatever we can do to make money at this point is worth giving strong consideration. There are too many areas in starting the farm in which we will spend money without the hope of getting a return from it; financially speaking. Improvements to the shop, the land, the houses and out buildings, etc. all serve a purpose and are a necessary expense, but they are still an expense. Grandpa is looking for ways to build back any cash we can and I appreciate the focus.

Several ladies in the Borger office have stopped in my office lately and told me that they are praying for me. It is reassuring to hear. It is humbling to think that the Lord has me on the hearts of family, friends and coworkers.

I thank you all for your prayers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment