Demo Site

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What’s in a name? Mama’s saving plan, being blessed

As I have shown the pictures of the Jerusalem Donkeys we now have on our farm, I have been asked if they are named. I always respond with the names assigned to them by Victoria and Mama – mostly Victoria. When I am asked which in which, I have to tell the questioner that I have almost no idea. Only Victoria and Mama can actually tell them apart and give the properly assigned names to the individual animal.


Grant, I am told, was really bothered by the fact that his mommy did not know which donkey went with which name and for a child his age that is huge. All life and associated rewards are assigned by name. What is one of the very first questions one socially conscious child will ask another? What is your name? In that assignment of title is an assignment of value, uniqueness and privilege. It is identity. It is personhood. Only children understand this.

It is one of the reasons true scholars of the Bible rejoice to read that our names are written down in the Lamb’s Book of Life. With that inscription go all the associated privileges and rewards of Heaven. In that assignment of title is the blessing of belonging, the promise of permanence. It is an expression of the hope we have in Christ, the surety, the earnest of eternity. So too, is the association of name and person with a child. We tend to forget how simple things are for the little ones around us.

I will learn the proper names of our equine guests next week in order to be properly prepared to give an account to whoever asks.

We have some money coming to us from a bonus at work so I told Mama I was going to set aside a portion of that money to get us some clothing items – mostly undergarments. In preparation for spending the allotted money, which we have not received yet, she went out and practiced yesterday. She quickly proved she was up to the task by spending almost $300. In her mind, she saved almost $300 so I should be happy I broke even. She did get a lot for the money spent, she always does. I just was a little unprepared for a preemptive strike on the money we have not gotten yet.

Last night we gave away a couple of dressers to a family in our church. It really opened up the living room space for us since we had been using them for storage in that area. When we unloaded them at the friend’s home, I was struck by lack of everything in the home. It is being bought through an owner finance deal and the house needs so much work. It is easy to see that even affording the payment is a struggle for this family. It brought home to me how very blessed Mama and I are.

I am almost ready to take all of our tax information to the accountant that we are working with. He did a great job doing our taxes last year and it was a difficult year with the move from one state to another and the finances associated with the move. This year will be more challenging with the accounting required by the money I took from my 401k and the subsequent settling of the loan with Wells Fargo. I am not looking forward to it.

Unlike my children, who are expecting to get refunds, I will have to pay. I do not know how much, but it will be a significant amount for me and Mama.

I suppose that’s a blessing. Rather, a privilege according to the current rhetoric.

0 comments:

Post a Comment