Demo Site

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Worthless emotional state, Mama on the farm, Chase

It amazes me that discouragement can set in on us in the midst of running from running from one blessing to another; but it does. There is no good way to combat such a worthless emotional state but to stop and count our blessings. The song, Count your Blessings, advises us to name then one by one. I had to take a moment yesterday and beginning with Mama I began to name all the blessings I have – all of you were among the enumerated.


At times the responsibility of the farm and the financially accountability associated with its development is overwhelming; attempting to look years out while staying firmly rooted in the present is a challenging mental exercise. The enormous amount of work yet to be done and the expectation of accomplishing it this year collided in on me some time yesterday and crushed me for a moment – only for a moment.

Mama made it in safely yesterday about 6 p.m. and Grandma fussed at us as we were enjoying an embrace. Mama remarked how she had missed me and Grandma had to remind her that she has not seen her husband for almost two weeks now. We just smiled and kissed again.

After we ate a light dinner we unloaded the van and headed to the farm. It was near dark but Mama wanted to see Toi and all the other animals. Since the older horse stays in the far south end of the pasture where we keep her – there is another horse just across the fence – Grandma dropped us off there. As we were walking over to pet Toi I noticed a skunk ambling along toward its burrow near the wet weather pond at that end of the property. Now I know where to hunt it.

We did not get to spend long, but it was an enjoyable few minutes. Riding with Grandma in the Lincoln as she flew down the roads, partly driving but mostly in conversation, was a little frightening, but we made it there and back safely. Mama and Victoria plan on spending the better part of the day there today. I have little idea what they could work on, but at least they will be out.

It is supposed to be beautiful and warm through tomorrow. Temperatures are expected to be in the mid eighties tomorrow; makes me want to take half a day off, but I have too much to do.

Grandpa will probably be leaving West Virginia this Saturday, but I have not gotten the official word on that. He has accumulated quite a load of implements for the farm as well as seed potatoes, apples and hay. It is already more that he can carry in one load so we will have to make arrangements to go back for the rest in the very near future. If it is a quick round trip, Mama and Victoria may go with him. I will not have the time off to help this year.

With Chase’s graduation and Brittany’s wedding, my vacation will be shot and due to the timing, I may not make it to Chase’s graduation; another discouraging thought if I allow it to be. Chase is doing well in school and the Fisher’s are enjoying having him in the house to help. Eric and Ethan are especially enjoying it. Our one disappointment is that Chase has lost his focus on piano – even though he is staying with the best resource we have ever had in that area, Mrs. Fisher.

Mama is supposed to talk to Mrs. Fisher about not letting him waste this opportunity but that conversation has not occurred yet, which is a little frustrating to me. It will be March 1st tomorrow and Chase’s time there is already half over. If we delay much longer, the opportunity will be lost. That would be a sad waste.

0 comments:

Post a Comment