Demo Site

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Too busy, off sick, early Valentine’s Day

Friday I left work at about 1 p.m. so I would have some time on the farm for the week. It had been a very busy time in the office and I probably only spent a half hour per day on the farm up to that point. On the way through Bowie I noticed that some of the vendors were setting up for Trade Days which is officially on Saturday. I got Mama up from her nap and she and Victoria and I went to see who was there.


I was especially interested in getting some trees but was worried about leaving them for Grandpa and Victoria to plant on their own since Mama and I had to leave early on Saturday. As it turned out, the tree man was there and we were able to get ten trees fro $18 each. Since I had set aside $200 we also got three thornless blackberries to spend all the money on fruit bearing plants.

We had to go home and get Grandpa and the truck so we could load them up and get them to the farm. The weather was pretty chilly that afternoon but it was supposed to get into the twenties overnight so we went ahead and planted all the trees and blackberries as soon as we got to the farm. That ground is so easy to work we were done pretty quickly. It was a real “Praise the Lord” moment.

I slept all the way to 7:30 on Saturday morning. When I checked the temperature, the thermometer read 22 degrees. Even though all the trees were in the ground and safe from danger, we had not prepared the well house for temperatures that low. It was Sunday afternoon before Grandpa got it thawed out. Thankfully no lines were broken and the temperatures are not supposed to be that cold again for quite a while. Of course, that is subject to change.

We had kept Grandpa so busy looking at equipment and picking up the horse that Saturday afternoon was the first time he really looked over the pigs that had been delivered earlier in the week. (He had to stay in to rest his head and eyes after retrieving the horse.) He is certain we will do alright with the pigs for butchering purposes and they have calmed down with the proper feed. Now we just need to fatten them up for the intended purpose. We will talk about breeder pigs much later in the year.

Sunday morning I woke up with a headache and as soon as I moved my head the room started spinning. Unlike Saturday morning, it took over a minute for the sensation to go away. I got up unsteadily and quickly lay back down. It took most of the day to get my equilibrium back. Mama and I missed church for both services that day. It has been a long time since that happened. Since we were out of town last Sunday, it seems like a really long time since we have been to our church.

I took off work on Monday to see the doctor. I really hate missing work, but I am tethered to my job by a smart phone so I did not get too far behind on emails. I just did not answer too many of them. Today I will have to catch up. The doctor did not tell me anything out of the ordinary. In an otherwise healthy person, dizziness is generally the result of an inner ear problem. The sinus issues I have been battling for several weeks probably caused the issue so I got some antibiotics to clear it up.

I am guessing that the time I spent planting trees, bent over using a short spade shovel to dig and clean out the holes probably pushed the congestion issue to the point of requiring more attention on my part. Staying on the verge of sleep depravity does not help the healing process, but such is the life we lead.

Even though I was not feeling well yesterday, I got to spend the day with Mama. It was our Valentine’s Day. Today she goes to the dentist so we had lunch together yesterday rather than today.

I’m pretty sure she knows she is my Valentine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment