Demo Site

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Completed tasks, misplaced hopes, our turn

Mama called me about noon yesterday to tell me they were almost done with the septic system. She said the electric hookups were made before she even got out there and that the young man who made the connections was a great help to Grandpa. Grandma was already hard at getting the cleaning started. There are some fixtures that need to be replaced and one toilet needs some new parts but other than that they are good to go. It is kind of sad for me because I worked so hard to get everything set in motion, but was not there to see it to completion. Oh, well. Now for the move.


Grandpa planted three types of seed in the big meadow as well as in a two acre plot by the shop. They are starting to see the sprouts pop through. Some will not be up for another several days but the shorter germination seeds are starting to show some green in the prepared field. It is exciting to see. By the time I get to return in May or June it should look like a real meadow rather than open dirt.

Earlier Grandpa had lined up a job to put lime on the pasture of a local rancher who has also helped us with the horses. That fell through and it kind of took the wind out of Grandpa’s sails, but I was a little relieved. He keeps focusing on “big money” people and as a general rule I do not care to deal with them. They have a sense of expectation that is difficult to satisfy and a community influence that is often more harmful than it is beneficial; that’s just my opinion.

In this particular instance, his wife is a odious woman and I was not looking forward to have to deal with her in any way. There are other people we can hook up with in business that will be far more pleasant and, in the long run, far more profitable. Again, that is just my opinion. I am praying for Grandpa and Victoria to get enough spraying jobs to make a good living, but I am also praying for the right contacts so we get a broad client base.

Being gone for two weeks allowed the weeds in our yard to get up pretty tall. In the front yard there are very few patches of anything similar to grass. In the back yard things are a little better. I got the front mowed after I got home yesterday evening. I will do the back tonight. The growth there is actually enough to choke the mower as I run through it. Amarillo is not an area known for green pastures and lush lawns. I suppose that is another reason the farm is so appealing to us right now.

There was a draw to that place even before we saw anything green on it. Now as the rains have come, the garden is growing, the filly is born, the fields are planted, the tanks are overflowing with water, etc; there is really a powerful draw to be there. But as Edna said to Mr. Incredible, “Yet, here we are.” I feel like I am living two places, two lives; very close to serving two masters, but not quite. Even if my office was there I would still have my separate, private life on the farm, but the distance makes it seem impossibly disconnected, like going to a favorite vacation spot, knowing that you will have to return home at some point.

I know Mama’s heart is there and I would like to get her there. The fact that Grandma rubs in every little thing that happens there knowing Mama would love to be a part of it only adds to my angst. She does not mean anything mean by it, it is just the way she is.

I have done my best.

God has blessed those efforts wonderfully.

Our turn will come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment