Demo Site

Friday, April 27, 2012

My hearing, sudden rains, Chase


My hearing test left me with more questions than answers. By the method used in the test I was not as bad off as I had thought. The doctor’s conclusion is that I have grown accustomed to minor hearing difficulties and simply prefer sounds to be louder; suggesting more of a listening problem than a hearing problem. I am not sure the issue is with my listening skills, but I will look into it.

The test showed a dramatic increase in cognitive understanding a s background noises were elevated. Mama sat in the sound booth with me as a voice read sentences in ever an increasing volume of background noises. While I was struggling to hear and repeat the sentences Mama was plugging her ears. I told the doctor if every person spoke with the diction and volume of the recorded sentences I would have no problem hearing and understanding. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

From the medical perspective I am not as bad off as I think I am. That does not change the fact that I have difficulty hearing and it will only get worse as I get older. It can be helped but the cost of hearing aids if far too expensive to merit the expenditure. So to all of those of you who would like me to understand what you are saying to me, stand on my right side and speak up. If the thoughts are more private than that, write them down, we will find a quiet place to talk later.

While we were in the sound proof booth the doctor told me, “It is pouring rain; in case you left your windows down.” I thought maybe he was kidding since it was so hot and dry outside when we had come in and Mama did not stir. Then I realized I was the only one who could hear what he said because I was wearing headphones for the hearing test. As soon as I told Mama she bolted out the door. She got the windows up on the car we were driving, but as we were driving home we both realized she had left them down on the little van.

Now, when Mama rolls a window down she does not just crack it open; she really rolls it down. We had a small discussion about that very thing at the dentist office when we parked. I told her the window only needed to be slightly open to let out the superheated air. She insisted that more was better and I left it alone. When we got to the mini van she began to wish she had not been so generous. It was soaked. Fortunately, she can roll the windows down all the way today and let the 96 degree, 28% humidity air dry it out. As a precaution, I would roll the windows up by early afternoon.

Victoria called while Mama was in the dentist office to tell her that the squash she planted was doing very well. The tomatoes are not faring as well. The potato plants are flowering and have recovered from the onslaught of bugs. Some of the garden is doing well, some is not. We will have to learn what to plant in a garden I this area and how to plant it to maximize its potential. It is certain we will have to fertilize more heavily next year. If we did not have the horses out all the time we could collect their manure from the stalls and use it to enrich the ground. That way, it would help the garden and the dogs would not have to travel so far to find it.

Chase and Mama talked for quite a long time last night and she is starting to understand that his feelings for Makayla (I think that is how to spell her name.) could be more than infatuation. It is difficult to tell. It is equally difficult to say anything – for or against. They are both committed to taking the high road of moral accountability in their relationship. They are both willing to obey their parents in the matter. They are both planning for their future together rather than scheming to find ways be together. We will continue to watch carefully, especially as Chase comes back home.

It is a matter of some concern, and much prayer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment