Demo Site

Friday, April 13, 2012

Injuries, health updates, sad moves

I left work a little early yesterday to get to the farm and help with the electrical line run; it turned out to be a good decision. Mama, Victoria, Grandpa and I got the wire laid out and slid the conduit over the wire from the pole to the home. Putting on the elbows at either end proved difficult. At the pole end I tore my scalp open on a box we already had installed. Like all scalp wounds I bled like mad for about five minutes. To date I have not shed much blood on the farm so I was overdue.


All of us finally decided that we could get the wound closed with what we had available in a first aid kit I had been given as a safety award. It worked for the most part but it took several hours for it to really stop bleeding. Every time I would bend over or pull hard on the wires to get them into final placement, it would pop open and blood would be running into my eyes, but we did finally get done. Mama had some meds with her and I took some to dull the headache. All in all, it turned out pretty good. Now if the electric company comes today we will have all out end hooked up. We could have power to the mobile this evening. That would be a real blessing.

I had predicted that if we allowed the big dogs to sleep under the mobile home they would tear out the fabric and insulation that seals the underside. Last night as I was leaving I saw where this is already beginning to happen. There is a large section of torn fabric and chewed insulation right under the front door. I will have to put the dogs up again and make the repairs. Those repairs are not any fun to make, both for the difficulty of the task and the exasperation of the reason for the repair. At least I have Grandma on my side now.

I participated in a medical survey yesterday and I was not thrilled about the results – especially my weight and my cholesterol. I know I have to lose weight but it is proving difficult to do while eating Grandma’s cooking which I think is also responsible for the elevated cholesterol levels; too much salt and lard. My cholesterol is typically about 125. Yesterday’s measurement was 207. Bear in mind that the recommended level is < 200. So I am still within sight of the recommended ranges, but far and away higher than typical for me.

Oh well, I am going back to Amarillo Sunday afternoon and will not be able to come back until some time in July – at least the way things look now. That should give me time to get back to normal; providing I do not eat too insanely while we are at Brittany’s wedding. It would probably be better for me if I just ate what Blake ate during those ten days. I’ll have to work that out with Cori. I would hesitate to volunteer to eat only what Mykenzie does, but it would be a sure weight loss diet for me.

Maggie is doing very well with her diet and exercise. I hope Aaron is able to recognize her when he gets back in a couple weeks. He did ask her to try on her wedding dress to see if it would fit now – it did not fit at their wedding – but she as avoided doing so. I am not sure why. She has told me how much weight she has lost and I am not able to use the old grade school tease “turn around, I think I found it.” She really does look good. It has been a hard-won battle for her.

Mama is still planning on staying several more days after I leave. Right now the plan is for her to come home on Friday or Saturday of next week, but much of that will depend on how the move to the farm goes. If we get lights, water (We should have that complete by Saturday.) and septic this week, I should be able to help; if not all the final moving will have to be done next week. Fortunately the weather is predicted to be good for such an activity.

Grandma is still a little sad about leaving the place they are renting because it is a really good place. I almost wish Mama and I could take it over, but that would depend on the company moving me here to work. That does not seem to be in the plans yet, so we will have to vacate the nice home and move onto the farm. It will keep Grandma closer to the action since she is unable to get around well.

If I could shoot two dogs it would be a nearly perfect plan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment