Demo Site

Thursday, December 20, 2012

High wind benefits, more travel, feeling rich, Mama news

The winds roared through last night with gusts near sixty miles per hour. The mobile home has a roof on it that is referred to as a floating roof. It is sequentially sealed pieces of metal held on to the structure at the top of the outside walls. It is somewhat flexible. In the winds last night it sounded like thunder as it flexed and returned to shape. I do not remember hearing much from the time I went to sleep until I woke, but at those times I was awake, it was impressive.


What I discovered when I got to work is that the wind had cleared the pecan trees of all fruit and leaves. The nuts were neatly plied up against every curb on the parking lot. I got a small trash can with a new bag and hurried to fill it to the top. I did not even make a dent in the amount of pecans on the concrete. I am sure my office mates will finish what I got started. The better news is that I got almost all of the best pecans – the ones Mama and Grandma like best.

Mama and Victoria are going back to Denton today. This is the day the ultra sound is scheduled. I know Victoria is not looking forward to it but I think it is a needed diagnostic evaluation. I am not completely sure but we will go along and see what the results might be. I do know that we are chewing through some money with all the extra travel. Not only does it cost me quite bit extra in gas but it “requires” that Mama and whomever she is with go out to eat at least once (if I am lucky) per trip. I get those “It was only..” reports from her after each jaunt.

On those days when Mama needs to do a bit of driving I get to bring the little truck – the ‘94 Ford Ranger - to work. I prefer it to the Lincoln. In fact I do not think I have ever driven the Lincoln. Victoria and Grandma like it so it gets quite bit of use; especially now that the weather is cooler. It does not have air conditioning which can make it quite uncomfortable in the summer. I do not mind driving the little truck other than the fact that the seats are broken down, it rides very rough and we are lucky to get twelve miles per gallon. It has come in very handy with Grandpa’s truck sitting idle.

Grandma and Grandpa got paid yesterday so they are swimming in money for now. Grandma made an emergency trip to town as soon as the banks were open. She is excited to be able to buy anything. That last a couple of days until Grandpa puts on the brakes. He manages to make the little they get last through the month. He makes sure some of it gets spent on supplies for the house and farm. They use most of it for monthly medications, health insurance, auto insurance, and the electric bill. He is also hoping to buy the parts for the truck to begin fixing it. I am not sure if there will be enough for that.

Mama shared an audio she made by mistake yesterday. She had taken her phone to the calf barn to record the bawl on one particular calf. She did not realize that the phone was left in video mode when she put it in her pants pocket. It is hilarious to hear the chatter. It is even funnier to hear her instruct Grandpa on which two calves he can feed while she get exasperated at the nipple on the bottle she is using to feed the calf she is working with. I asked her to email it to me but I did not take the time to do it myself last night. I will get it today if possible.I do not know if it is possible to include in this blog but those of you who know Mama would thoroughly enjoy it.

As we were on our way home from church Sunday night I told Mama I missed hearing her read to the kids at naptime and night time. It is something every child she has ever gotten to share that gift with has enjoyed. It is now spent mostly to our grandkids when we visit them. I told her I would begin to pray that she could begin to use that gift again. The next night Jake called Mama. He asked if she would read him a book as he went to sleep. They have kept up the routine for several nights via Skype.

It was not the answer I expected but the two of them are thrilled with the arrangement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment